Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

cluncking noise from front?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by HILLY, Jul 8, 2006.

1. hey every one i have a cluncking noise coming from the front of my bike when i go over bumps up to like 60kmp but prob dose it over just bikes make to much noise to hear it ?
    would any one know what this would be or has had this prob before?
    o its a cbr250rr if it makes any diff?
    thanks heaps

2. Hard to diagnose but get your mechanic to look for....

1. old fork oil
    2. sacked-out front springs
    3. worn steering-head bearings

Oh, and check for loose dentures :LOL:

3. Does the bike wander at low speeds and follow grooves in teh road?

Regards, Andrew.

4. Tell us hilly when you mean bumps

are we talking speed humps per chance ?????????

5. If bumps, it could be your shaft absorber.

6. Check your front mudguard. :grin:

7. Can also trying checking with emergency stops as this will load the headstem in the opposite direction and only gradualy load the forks. If clunk is still there I would say head stem bearings loose/flogged out. If not then look at suspension, but more likely is loose body part, or something knocking like brake line bracket etc.

Cheers

8. Stick the bike on it's centre stand, get some one to help hold the bike and keep front wheel of the ground.

Now start pulling/pushing and kicking everything in all different directions looking for any movement/play what so ever.

Spin that wheel and move handle bars slowly from side to side (left lock, right lock) and movement should be smooth through entire movement. ie, no sticky/tight spots through movement, especialy when centred.

Failing that, start yelling and screaming at the bike. A neighbour may hear you and come and assist in finding the problem.

Good luck.