Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Clumsy riding days

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Cris, May 4, 2015.

1. Been riding now for 10 months. I've done 18000 km, and have experienced most conditions on all kinds of roads. I have a long way to go in terms of riding skills, but there's barely a ride when I don't learn something, and I'm now confident enough to consider myself a rider of sorts.

Still, now and then (like today) I have a ride that feels all wrong. Nothing necessarily goes wrong, it's not a matter of making unforced mistakes or having scares. My riding just feels wrong: clumsy and requiring extra concentration, like I have to think about everything, and have little in reserve should something unexpected happen.

Do more experienced riders still have rides like this? I'm not really concerned (it's quite rare for me), but just interested to hear if others have similar experiences. And if you do, do you still ride? Do anything differently?

• Like Like x 3
  2. Do other riders feel like this? Absolutely? Do other riders (me at least) unless the ride is unavoidable, turn round and head home? Absolutely. In my experience it rarely comes good that day, but is usually fine the enxt day. Don't risk it.
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  3. As hornet said......

Some days it just doesn't, for no good reason, feel right.

Those times, parking the bike and doing something else is probably a good idea.
  4. Some days CrisCris, like everything, it just come together. Some days are good and some not, so don't get disheartened and enjoy the good ones and work on your technique
  5. Thanks guys, good to hear I'm not the only one.

I don't know if it's my attachment to my bike, or just lack of imagination, but simply not riding on those days never occurred to me. I'll give it some thought next time ;)
  6. Yeah, sometimes get the same feeling.

As mentioned by hornet and CrazyCam, I usually make the choice to just either take it very easy or cut the ride short and head home.

Although, I find I feel like that the most when I am already very tired and fatigued, like after a basterd day at the pickle factory and have to fight the homeward commute.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. I've experienced this in most aspects of my life, road riding being the most recent iteration of it.

The times when something - or everything - just seems a 'bit off' or not quite right. For me it has been compounded by (re)learning to ride a motorcycle...there's no experience level to fall back on.

When learning other things, I've been advised to (temporarily) stop at the point I think I'm making mistakes as it can be when bad habits are formed and or accidents occur. That way, I'll always have another day to ride and learn.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. This happens to me on the way home from work more often than I'd like to admit.
    I usually will pull in at maccas for a bite to eat or something to freshen me up and then head straight home.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. XJ6NXJ6N - good point about this being a general phenomenon. Seems particularly so to me for skills with some physical content (running & guitar playing come to mind in my case).

And hornethornet, yeah, I've also found that when this happens it doesn't turn around during that ride. I tend to just take it very easy for the remainder, and just enjoy the scenery. Feeling at odds with the bike like this is never very enjoyable though.

The feeling needs a decent name!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. And then sometimes you have those days when it feels soooo right.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Yep, some days I just ride like a complete muppet. I am actually glad to get home, even if it is something as routine as riding home from work. I think it happens in all aspects of our life, but the consequences are different. Playing well below your best on a pool table, golf course, tennis course etc on any particular day is annoying. Riding below par and crashing is at best, painful, inconvenient and expensive. So, we tend to notice it more when we ride.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Its important that you're always learning and trying to improve yourself, the opposite is that you get complacent/cocky and make a serious mistake.

Personally commuting 500km a week: snapping at dozens of drivers, avoiding near misses and racing against the clock does take its toll mentally and stip the enjoyment out of riding.

For this reason alone its important to fill the bike up with fuel and head off somewhere without a journey. Even if its finding a new way home after work and breaking off motorways or main-roads. My favourite and most rewarding thing to do is follow a road to its end (or to empty :) ) and have a meal at a local caffee then head home.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. BitSarBitSar OK, yipps it is for now. But .. etymology? Nice article btw.

Nicholai_ChevNicholai_Chev I don't commute, that would add a whole different dynamic. Agree though on just following a road for the sake of the ride. One of my favourite things to do.
  14. It's a single P as in the "Yips" a sporting term for loss of motor skills.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. About 6 months ago I had a few stalls in the space of a few days. There is nothing like stalling a bike to send you into a yipps day. Then it happened a few more times over the next few days and I thought I was really losing my riding mojo. Then it started happening more regularly. So took it to the shop and realised it was an issue with the starter coil.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. No official etymology.
    More like bogan vernacular.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. On days like that, I crack open a coldie and just spend time polishing the shiny bits on my bike :)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Learnt to check my tyre pressures when it happens.:)
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Without sounding like a tree hugging mung bean munching hippy, I was once told to listen to that voice inside and if it says don't ride, don't ride. Its a philosophy I've held on to and will continue to
    • Like Like x 3