Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Clues to look for when riding

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by dima, Jun 1, 2013.

1. There are many clues that may trigger riders' attention and may potentially save the ass.
    What are the clues you know?

The question triggered when reading "mastering the ride" and is intended to be a small discussion n the subject that can help riders to stay on 2 wheels.
    The screenshot attached (can't copy text from kindle)

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Keep an eye ahead for RBTs.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. And turn around as the evasive action? LOL
  4. No-think about it.
  5. Things I'm looking for (by no means exhaustive):

Other traffic:
    - History - has a vehicle been moving erratically? If so, give them some room.
    - Traffic patterns ahead - is there anything happening ahead that might cause traffic to behave in a particular way? eg. if a car is stopped in the middle of the road to make a right turn, there's a good chance that other cars in that lane may move to the left to go around them without warning.
    - Surrounds - am I riding past an area where people are known to do random things? eg. is there a school nearby?
    - Type of vehicle - as much as I hate stereotypes, some types of vehicles are overrepresented in my own experiences as containing poor drivers. I use my own vehicle profiling to factor in to the probability of risk.
    - Randomness - if everyone up ahead is behaving in a way that seems random, then it may be because of something going on - I tend to be pretty careful around randomness :)
    - are other vehicles trying to warn me of anything? flashing lights may mean an accident, or it could mean a revenue camera is up ahead.

Cars parked on the side of the road:
    - Lights - if they're on, then the car is a flight risk regardless of what the indicators are doing.
    - People inside the car (through windows) - is there any movement?
    - Wheels - are they moving? it's pretty easy to see even relatively small steering movements if you're looking for them.
    - Is it possible that it's a mobile revenue device?

Cars on side roads, turning into the road that I'm on:
    - Eye contact - am I sure that they've seen me? Am I really sure?
    - Do I have room to make an evasive manoeuvre if I need to?

The road itself:
    - What's the condition like? Can I see any ruts or oil patches or leaf litter or anything that might cause me trouble coming up?

When I'm riding I'm trying to take notice of what's going on as far ahead up the road as I can, but I tend to spend more of my active attention on things that are closer and therefore present a more immediate risk.

It's like my subconscious is scanning and making notes of what is coming up later, helping with things like road positioning etc, while my foreground processing is dedicated to dealing with things that are going on nearby and presenting me with the most immediate risk.
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Bored mate ?
  7. what @gundy is describing is reading traffic. Good professional drivers does this dam well. The secret is not only observing what is ahead and around you but able to remove information that is not required.
    Are their clues yes plenty but their not common clues all the time. Seeing brake lights come on when the traffic is flowing should be a major flag even if its not in your lane.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Slow traffic in the next lane always means a sudden lane change for some twat.
    Generally an Audi, BMW's are so 2010.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Also, stereotypes exist for a reason.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Stop wasting time/effort/focus on looking out for cars that are stereotyped as being bad drivers....
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. You break it down further after reading the traffic pattern. To the individual.
    Them their eyes and their front wheels.
    It does make me wonder if we will ever evolve something that will cope with the speed we like to travel at. Like bat vision. Well all snakes use to have legs.
    All this time we have know we cant take much more of an impact than we can create by running fast and falling down. And the best thing we have come up with in all this time is the helmet. But it will only work to about 8G before the brain just mashes itself in an impact. What speed does that equate too ?
  12. Or you could defer to Australians in general being terrible drivers.
  13. Brake lights. If you can't see what is ahead but can see 2 or more vehicles ahead then react to their brake lights as you would the vehicle ahead. Should generally do this anyway. Get a jump on the vehicle ahead.

Another I'm recently thinking of more is to cover when a vehicle changes lanes anywhere near an intersection or traffic lights. Seems to be a lot of accidents and near misses in these situations. You create a buffer then a vehicle jumps in front of you and then they hit the anchors to slow down to turn or stop before you've had a chance to buffer again. Or they move into the lane next to you on a multi-lane road then change lanes abruptly to get in the one they need. So, the clue would be to be prepared when approaching intersections or traffic lights which should be a general clue anyway.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Slightly adjacent to the topic does anyone know where you can buy the "Mastering the Ride" book in Melbourne? I've been looking for it and can't find it anywhere except for Kindle.

15. I have bought a few editions on kindlle app for phone and iPad.

Why wood u want a paper book (really curious)?
    Just install kindle, it's free.
  16. From what I can tell its a heavily graphical book and the images and pictures never come through when reading it on Kindle. Of course reading it using a Kindle app on a computer might contain the images.

I also prefer flicking pages when searching for a piece of information.

How are you finding the Kindle version?
  17. Never had issues with images. What do you mean?

Searching is quite easy.

Kindle app is one of the best things that happened for reading.
    Give it a shot with the free sample books.
  18. http://www.angusrobertson.com.au/bo...proficient-motorcycling-2nd-edition/26066106/

Hard Copies.
    Also a few on Amazon - maybe some used.

I searched Google Play Store and for "Mastering the Ride" and came up with a very unexpected result.
  19. Cheers

I also came across the very unexpected result. Just goes to show there is something for everyone out there
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. @dnagir thanks for mentioning the book - may have to check it out at the book store this week!