Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Close Calls....

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Ninja03, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Ey guys.... Just got my learners as i announced a few days ago:p Looking to get a 250 Ninja or hyosung 250 ASAP (Hopefully this week).

I know there have probably been 100 posts asking this same question but when you guys go out riding (If you drive carefully and sensibly) do you have many close calls or crashes? REason im asking is my parents are strongly against the whole thing and just wanted to know if close calls are very common when riding a motor bike on the road.

Thanks Guys :)

2. Yes you do have alot of brown trouser moments when you're starting out. But after a while your road craft really develops and you anticipate things alot more. I'm on high alert whenever I ride in traffic (as you should be), and I've looked at things, knowing they are about to happen and taken moves to counter me dying. Eg. Going past a taxi in the right lane, its in the left with emergency lights on as its picking up/dropping off a customer. In that situation you have to look out for doors opening, the taxi speeding off, cars stuck behind the taxi pulling out, etc. Buffering to the right of the lane and having the thumb on the horn has saved me from being roadkill several times.

So the answer is yes, but after a while you develop the skills to predict stupidity. The more you ride, the more conditions you ride in (raining, types or roads, very hot, commuting, fanging, highway, overcast, by yourself, in groups, etc.) the better your prediction skills will be. Obviously you can't always predict everything, but after a few months of riding alot you are surprised ALOT less.

3. yeh i think at the start im gonna ride around in back streets to get use to being on the road and also ride at low traffic times.....night time to start off when there are less cars on the road

4. Good idea Ninja!

Also, a big empty carpark is good to practise emergency braking and general low speed control :)

5. Yeh ive heard alot of people saying a car park is a good place to start. Sounds like a good idea. Also where i live is pritty quiet at night on the road after about 8:30 should should be able to gain some good expierience then without having to much traffic to worry about:)

6. Yeah, I think you're on the right track. The last thing you want is while learning to control your bike to be worrying about traffic around you.
    Take your time, read everything motorcycle related and ask questions!

7. yeh true. Thanks Mate:)

8. Refer to the "odds" link in my sig. :)

9. You're very likely to crash and hurt yourself. You can do things to mitigate the risk but chances are you'll have at best a drop or two and at worst a dirty big crash in the first 2 years of your riding. The main variable is how badly you'll get hurt - most of us get through with nothing permanent, but there's plenty of people die, and plenty end up crippled for good.

That's the truth. If you can deal with the risk, come on in, the water's fine. No point lying to your parents, motorcycles are dangerous.

Buying a Hyosung will be the safest, because you're likely to spend less time on the road. Can't crash a bike that's in bits at the mechanic's.

10. LMAO @ Loz!

11. To be honest I havnt had that many close calls with other traffic. I found having driven a car for 2 years gave me the experience i needed to read the traffic well and when your on the bike your senses are that more alert than normal that its actually quite amazing how well you can tell when someone is going to do something stupid. But its all about how you ride.

I am a person that rides more defensively in traffic and far more aggressive when on a recreational ride. The brown pants moments that I have had are me probably pushing a little past my skill level and fortunately have gotton away with it so far but I never have made the same mistakes again (especially when you scare yourself alot).

I had the same troubles with the parents but your old and ugly enough to make your own choices.

12. I would suggest early morning rather than night time.
    When I started out, I went out at 6:00AM. Pretty empty traffic but you can still see. At night, you might not notice things like potholes etc that might take you down.

my 2c

13. I understand when your learning you have less expierience and more chance to have a crash but no matter what level your at if your sensible and alert and dont do stupid stuff you reduce your risk ALOT!

lol to your comment about the hyosung

14. hey ninja...i been riding now for almost a year and have found the roads to be a really good place to be...i appreciated what a guy said on this forum to try riding like a nanna for a week n notice the difference...i try n keep 3 secs behind the car in front, never beside cars n look for escape routes which i`m very complacent with sometimes...my near miss with the taxi u turn and being sandwiched between parked cars and an 8 car carrier were pretty scary and it`s good when u look at a car in a side street and think "he`s gonna comout on me" and he does and you`re prepared is like hitting another milestone. I love riding and always make excuses to get out there and put myself in positions where i HAVE to make a u turn or slow manouvre. The guys on here are great n so r some of the vlogs on youtube for building confidence. Have fun

15. Keep a safe distance. Dont be cocky. Remember what you were taught.
    And the best part is that riding will make you a better car driver too!

16. My closest close call in restricted 250 days, happened on sydney rd... splitting south down the left hand side of heavy traffic. North bound was chockas too.

I had splitted up to a gap left in the line of cars for a side road off to the left... and I didn't slow down to survey the gap before splitting past... an impatient frustrated north bound tradey van decided he needed to take the rabbit warren of side streets and decided to pull a spontaneous right turn as I entered the gap. He was committed and so was I, neither of us braked, neither of us reacted. I think he missed my rear wheel by a few centimetres...

That taught me a very valuable lesson about splitting and gaps and driver stress in heavy traffic.

The moral of the story is, you'll have close calls... you can save yourself a lot of close calls by listening to the lessons of experienced riders and using proper roadcraft. But whenever you do have a close call of your own, slap yourself around the head and learn the lessons... the next time you might not be so lucky!!

17. Without doubt, you will either learn fast or crash. So learn fast.
    Number one is to increase your awareness of what is going on around you. It needs to be MUCH higher than driving a car. That took me a while, even though I had been driving a long time, and I had my share of close calls. Haven't had any for a while (touch wood).
    Number two is take a second to assess the situation before making your move.
    Number three is to continually practice emergency responses, either in a safe place, or by mentally rehearsing what you would do if that car chopped you off or pulled out etc.
    Number four is pull your ego in. You don't need to show anyone how clever or fast you are.
    Good luck and have fun.

:)

18. Hey ninja, whereabouts do you live? I've only been riding a couple of weeks as so i'm grabbing any opportunity i can to ride, especially at night. If you want someone to go out practicing with and we're around the same area i'm up for it. :)
    I live in Skye, Vic.

19. I have a lot of close calls, but i ride every day and all that experience gives me skills to deal with them. Take time to learn the bike well, then take to the road and you should have no problem. Good luck :grin:

20. just take your time, gear up every time with the best you can afford and ride some local roads you know well so you don't get surprised by corners etc

also in some ways being in heavy traffic can be a good thing, when its not moving really fast you have more time to react and good for getting used to low speed and putting yourself in the right lanes

dont worry about splitting lanes etc until you're very confident you can do it without holding up traffic

it won't take too long, i've probably been on my bike every 3rd day for about 3 months now and its starting to feel a lot more comfortable

also one other tip, like the RTA test says, if you feel tired or sick, don't ride

riding tired makes you not think about whats going on around you quite as much which can turn a situation that would be simple to get out of quite complicated!