Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Close Call

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by Slipin, Feb 25, 2014.

1. I was traveling down a bus lane along Pittwater Rd @ Collaroy doing my City commute. When a Van decides to jump into my lane to pull into the upcoming car park (Collaroy Beach Club).

Fortunately I was able to gas it out with just enough room before the corridor shut. First time someone has done that too me!

Anyway that's my attempt at a rant from my near miss.....

Do you guys normally gas it out or hit the breaks?

2. There is no 'normally' about it. It's either better to brake or it's better to accelerate and you do whatever's best at the time.
    What I'm trying to say is that being 'habitual' in the way you deal with things is not a good idea.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Agreed...
    The situations vary so much that you can't really predict what you're going to do until the time comes.
  4. Yep totally agree, probably a poor choice of words on my behalf. I'm aware ones reactions to hazards are situational.

It was more to promote a discussion on the given scenario, ie have you been in a similar situation and what did you do.
  5. It was a van. Possibly a courier or tradesperson. As soon as you saw that type of vehicle, you should have pulled over to the side of the road, gotten off your bike and kissed the ground, thankful that you made it through the experience alive. Because if THEY had seen YOU, they would have tried to kill you.

Seriously though, as the guys said, there is no "usual". There is one "constant" though - you will always be able to slow down faster than you can speed up.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Yes, and it depended on the traffic around me. If I could safely see and make it into an open gap, then I would have taken it... but half the time my brain won't process or I'm unlucky & I have to hammer on the brakes.

... especially on a 250. Hehehe.
  7. Good that you came out unharmed.

As to the required reaction, it really depends at Titus was saying. The right reaction will be influenced by where you are in perspective to the vehicle merging into your land, what type of bike you're riding and what gear you're in, weather conditions, traffic behind you, etc. At the end, if you've come out all right, you did the right thing at the time. And only long experience will teach you to keep it that way.
  8. Too many variables for one answer as others have said. If you are near the front door and nothing in front of you, gun it and get that last 2 metres to put you in front of him. If you are beside him or near the rear of the van brake and let him come across. Both these scenarios depend on if there are cars in front and behind you, if you know he is moving because he has used a blinker or if he has just decided that he wants to be in your lane and moved over.
    The main thing is that you are OK and have learnt something from the experience.
    Keep learning :)
  9. In general, you can usually decelerate (brake) faster than you can accelerate. But then you have to think about whether the bloke behind you can do the same.
    Closing gaps are a pure judgement call.
  10. There is no "usually" about this for me.

My opinion, based on my experience on the gas it out technique (for this kind of situation), is, although it makes for a much cooler story "gassing it out" is almost never the best long term solution to the problem you find your self in.