Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Clipped by 4WD

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by chrome, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Not hurt, didn't come off, no damage to either vehicle.

Was riding up left hand lane, lots of traffic in the right hand lane, and a 4WD. As I'm passing the 4WD he decides he wants to be in my lane, so he starts turning, no signal. Clipped my exhaust pipe, made the bike wobble.

Remarkably no damage, not even a scratch, just some black plastic that that must have transferred from his bumper.

Put a lump in my throat though.

I think I might take to riding along, beeping the horn like they do in some other countries :)
  2. glad you're ok mate. did the driver stop? Where were you in your lane?
  3. An all too frequent occurance...

Glad you are ok though.

I've had this happen to me several times (including a number of times on the Harbour Bridge). Seem to happen more frequently with 4WDs. Not sure if it is because they feel that they are higher and can see all and therefore don't need to check their blind spot.
  4. So how big is the shiner you gave the driver?
  5. :newb: What's a shiner? :eek:
  6. I think he means a black eye. :)
  7. Yep, a black eye
  8. I am learn-ed.
  9. We didn't stop. Nothing good could have come from doing that. I would be surprised if he didn't even realise that he had nudged me.

I feel that, even though he didn't indicate or look before changing lanes, I was moving too quickly up the left hand side, so I shouldn't be surprised he didn't expect me to be there.

What I'm taking away from it is that if there is a gap, people will head for it, you just have to anticipate it. I didn't. I will next time.

(edit: And yes, I know, I should have stopped. Fight or flight response? Not sure. Need to drill it into my head to stop after a near miss.)
  10. Sounds to me like you did pretty much everything right.

You always have to drive as defensively as possible but the reality is the person driving should have checked their mirrors and head-checked. Of course none of that really matters if they pulled in on top of you (doesn't matter who's fault it is when your under the 4WD).

I agree though that if you were traveling or accelerating too fast that probably would not help.

Sounds like another lesson learnt. You can bet it won't be the last... :)
  11. A good outcome but remember, there is a reason why passing on the left is called undertaking :-w
  12. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it on a multi-lane road. There's also no law against it.

AFAIK the phrase comes from passing heavy vehicles on the left, as the driver can't do a head check to check the blind spot. Heavy vehicle drivers are meant to compensate for this by giving plenty of notice via indicator. Sometimes (surprisingly often actually...) they don't, especially if the traffic is not heavy enough for them to assume there will be traffic there.
  13. I mention it more as a morbid fact and people are more expectant of being passed on the right hand side. I give all large vehicles plenty of space and try to stay out of blind spots. Riding in Canberra, a fair amount of drivers like to straight line roundabouts and the person doing the right thing in the outside lane suddenly finds another car in their lane.
  14. You Indicate for the people you don’t know are there.
    Not head checking is F#$king lazy.
    Not Indicating is Neglegence.
    There is no excuse for not indicating.
    Never EVER forgive it.
  15. When learning to ride in Darwin many years ago the catch cry by the trainers was "Don't miss the M.I.S."

Mirrors, Indicators, Shoulder Check. Simple as that!
  16. Nice recovery and good mature attitude to the situation, so I give a you a salute for surviving and then evaluating.

I was driving a 25 seat mini bus in Canberra when that happened to me, nearly ran the whole lot of us off the road- should've heard the whole bus scream. If that's your daily battle and I was driving a big bloody bus, good luck and stay safe!
  17. =D>=D>=D>=D>
  18. Chrome,
    Glad to hear you came out of that okay !
    Can't say I've had this happen to me (yet), but one thing I can vouch for - I'd have more than one lump on my person - one in the throat and one..erm.... elsewhere.
    Thanks for sharing your experience with us, thus keeping us all more aware.
    Cheers mate.