Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Clip link chains, pressure seating the side plate?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by disassembled, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Hi People,

Fitted a new RK clip link chain to the cibbie on the weekend. And manager to get that assembled ok with some improvised tools (nothing too bodgy).

What i'm curious about though, is the instructions mention pressure seating the side plate, i thing that this means pulling the pressed on side plate back towards the clip, so lock the clip on.

But, how do i do this? Didn't want to use pliers, in fear of damaging the clip.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Buy yourself a pair of "vice grips" for your birthday. They come in a range of sizes. You will never regret it. The small ones are perfect for chain links.
  3. Use an elcheapo Whale type chain breaker to pull the sideplate back to the clip
  4. +1 what JohnnyO said. I just spent $40 on chain tools and used them for 5 minutes. But if I hadn't spent it, I would have been sweating for 5 DAYS trying to get those b*#$%d chain bits together properly.
  5. I wouldn't call the whale tools 'cheap'. While they're not expensive to buy they are in fact made of Japanese Steel and very hard wearing.
    My whale breaker has been going strong for the last 18 years.
    Definitely a worthwhile investment.
  6. I agree with what you are saying Ian, I've had my Whale breaker for over 20 years and haven't even changed the pin! I think their quality might not be quite as good as when we bought ours :wink:

I meant that a lower cost option is the Whale type rather than buying an expensive OEM chain breaker/riviter type :)
  7. I'll pick up a chain breaker and see how I go. How should I go about it? Use it like I was pushing a rivet out? I assume I should be doing this with the clip on :oops:

Excuse my ignorance, just being careful. Don't want my chain falling apart on me.
  8. Yeah, funny how some of the inexpensive ones look exactly the same as the named brand. Right down to some of the casting marks lol.
  9. I got mine from Ian...only needed to use it once, but it breaks (with a little help from a grinder), removes and rivets. Easy to use, looks very sturdy and not outrageously expensive.
  10. A chain breaker usually does the lot. It breaks the old chain by pushing out a single pin and also has a pressing attachment that flares the pin around the clip on the new chain. I bought mine for about $70 and it comes with a little instruction sheet. Its fairly foolproof to use, just make sure you line it up carefully with a small amount of pressure before you start tightening to flare the pin. Also make sure you flare to the specifications of the chain, it will usually say "flare pin to min 5.5mm and max 6mm" or something like that.

You can do this with a hammer and block of wood but IMO the chain breaking tool is a lot quicker and more accurate to use (and you don't accidently dint your swingarm).
  11. Thanks,

Shop sold me a "chain assembly tool" and told me that it will do the job. Interestingly the chain's instructions don't mention flaring the pins, just "pulling back the side plate to make a 'pressure seat'"
  12. "Flaring the pin" is for a NON-clip-type master link (rivet type).

There are 2 common types of master link, the sideplate is held on by
    - a clip (in racing this is often replaced by a loop of safety wire)
    - squashing (flaring) the head of the pins until they are wider than the
    hole in the master link (like a rivet).

I've always used clip types but they are not recommended for extreme speed/hpower so this time I used a rivet type. Yes you do need to pressure seat the clip, I've had a clip come out that wasn't pressure seated and fortunately I noticed *before* anything happened, else the chain could have fallen off and smashed my engine at high speed :shock:
  13. How does one pressure seat the clip though?
  14. The side plate needs to be pressed over the pin. This can be done using vice grips and a small nut. Place the small nut on the side plate and then use the vice grips to press it all together. As the side plate gets pressed, the pin will pass through the hole in the nut. Do each end of the side plate a little at each time so the side plate is pressed down evenly over the two pins.

The clip is then fitted to the joining link. It is retained in the recess machined into the joining link pin. Just make sure you face it in the right direction. There should be a picture detailing the direction with the chain joining link.

15. Make sure you've put the 'master-link' or clip on facing the right direction... The open end should face backward when the link is above the swing arm.

I use vice grips in the manner stated above, ~15 mins to change out a new for old chain.