Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Clicking when contact on

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by RAMZ, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Hi guys,

just recently bought a bike so I'm a bit of a newbie with troubleshooting...

Anyway, in my excitement I gave the bike a good wash and now am noticing a clicking sound. The sounds happens when I switch the key to on, even before starting the engine. And the sounds stays even when the engine is started. The tick tick tick happens approx. twice per second and is coming from underneath the fuel tank.

Of course my thoughts are that water has gotten into the electrical system and that this is the cause. However, I'm not sure where to look or what to do. Can somebody therefore guide me in the right direction?
    - Can the spark plugs be arcing even when the engine is off, but the ignition on?
    - which systems are running when the ignition is on but the engine off (and remain running when the engine is on)?
    - Or can this ticking noise be normal? I didn't notice it before.

Thanks for your advice

2. A bike, hey??

On the fuel tank should be written the brand of bike.

Somewhere, maybe on a sidecover, might be written the model. ;-)

This is almost as important as the colour if we are going to do any trouble shooting. ;-)

Have you thought of putting your ear down there and locating just where the sound is coming from? If it's from under the tank maybe your bike has an electric fuel oump...

Cheers

Trevor G

3. Ok, at least thanks for the reply.

I'll just ignore the childish sarcasm for now, since I do want to learn more about bikes and this is a good platform for that.

Anyway, it's a '99 VTR250. I've just downloaded the maintenance manual, so I'll dive a bit deeper into that over the weekend.

Cheers

4. For once I agree with everything Trevor says :shock:
    If you're going to ask questions you will at least need to tell us what the bike is.

5. - Can the spark plugs be arcing even when the engine is off, but the ignition on?
    NO

- which systems are running when the ignition is on but the engine off (and remain running when the engine is on)?
    All electrical systems are live - except the starter motor crank circuit, which is energised when you press the button. You need high tension voltage to create spark and that's not going to happen without the engine cranking over.

- Or can this ticking noise be normal? I didn't notice it before.
    Are you certain about this. I don't know if it's normal.

It could be a fuel pump prob, but I didn't think VTR's had a fuel pump. I thought that had a gravity fed carby set up.

You'll need some better info for us to diagnose anything at this distance.

Cheers

Rob

6. Maybe its the clock ticking on global warming :LOL:

7. You would be better to dive in under the tank (it's easy to remove) but I think it is more likely to be under the seat, where the electricals and electronics are.

Have you checked under the seat?

The VTR250 does not have an electric fuel pump.

BTW where did you find a manual for the VTR250? I tried several months ago...

Cheers

Trevor G

8. ...only if it was PP's bike... :-w

+1 on the manual thing!

9. Started it up this morning and... no more ticking!

So it seems like there was water somewhere near an electrical system that now has dried up. It still annoys me that I don't know what it was so I'll have to start taking the bike apart and clean the electrical systems to check for goo or open wiring.

Thanks for the help & ideas

A general Google search led me straight back to this site.....
    Can't give you the link since apparently I must have had at least 5 posts to be able to do that, so here's the topic description:

Netrider Forum Index \ Maintenance & appearance \ VTR250 Service CD/Manual
    On page 4, a post done by MG. Most of the other links have died.