Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Clicking Clutch Cable

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by TripleHatTrick, May 24, 2008.

1. Hey,

My clutch is being a pain after I took in my hyo 250r for a service.

When I use the clutch you can hear and feel it click!!!

Does this mean its going to snap soon?

How can I change it back

I don't really want to take it back to the service guys, cose they're a bunch of tools!! (insert more words here)

Any ideas are appreciated cose its pissing me off! :(

2. Clicking could be a frayed cable, you could try lubing the cable up yourself, but I'd take it to a dealership and get them to fix it under warranty.

If you're dissatisfied with your service center, there's a mob called Image Motorcycles in Gosford that are excellent from what I hear, that's if you can handle the hour long trip to get there

A mate rides all the way from newcastle to get his GV650 serviced there
  3. It's probably too late now, but the nipple and/or the recess it fits into in the lever are not correctly lubricated. As the lever pulls in the nipple is meant to rotate freely in its little "hole", but when it is dirty, or the wrong lube is used, it "clicks".

Remove the cable/nipple from the lever and clean both components where they mate. Use petroleum jelly (vaseline) if you don't have water resistant grease. Just a little will do.

Also remove the pivot bolt and perform the same trick on it and the pivot hole in the lever. Sometimes the lower end of the cable needs the same treatment.

Always allow 10mm of free play (looseness in and out) at the ball-end of the lever, otherwise you will end up making the clutch slip under load.

Trevor G
  4. OIL

Its to late oil it, so replace it.
    All cables must be oiled at every service.