Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Clear coat question

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Manny, Apr 14, 2005.

1. im gonna end up spraying my bike matt black
    (like this one - http://www.ninja250.org/Tim S )

It is the greatest colour (or shade) in teh world. Will clear coating it make it go shiny? any special brands or types i should look out for, that do protect but dont shine?
  2. yeah, clear will give you a shine. it might be more of a satin than a gloss but it'll have some shine. if you want REAL matt then you will have to leave it without a clear coat. just give it a couple of extra coats of black, if its the same thickness as it would have been with the clear, it'll be just as strong :D
  3. Not so sure about that Coco :?:

I sprayed my tank once (Satin black) and was quite a happy chappy until I got gas on it the next time I had a spillage at the pump, then it all went a bit nasty.

This thread has got me thinking though, I wonder how Ducati do it with their 'Dark' range (clear-coat or not) :?:
  4. what sorta paint was it? i've known a few ppls that have done matt and satin but havn't heard of any issues. thats not to say they didn't have any but they never said anything. was it cheapo paint in a can or was it proper auto paint? theres a big difference there, especially if the paint is fairly thin.

safest bet is to slap clear on a gloss paint but as far as i know, clear is made of the same stuff anyways. maybe the matt/satin is slightly porus (spelling?) and lets the petrol soak in a little, but i wouldn't have thought so. anywhich way, you wont get a real matt finish with a clear coat so you'd have to make a decision from there....
  5. Well it was cheap and nasty stuff so that might have played a part?
  6. Difference between matte and gloss paints/lacquers is that the matte ones have silica in them and sometimes extra agents to keep the silica suspended. This causes a sligt milky look to them but not usually detected once on the surface of whats being painted.
  7. Good quality auto acrylic is fairly petrol-proof, as long as petrol dosen't sit on the surface for any length of time....

But if you coat matt black with clear gloss, it won't be matt any more......!!!

2-pack is of course the best, and if you really wanted a matt finnish, you would gently flat it back with wet & dry paper, 800grit would do it. Hard to get an even finnish, though...... If I were you, I'd settle for gloss - it will be much harder wearing. And only use good paint. It ain't that expensive!!!

8. Hate to ruin your idealism, Manny, but obviously you don't know anything about spray painting. So doing the job yourself properly will not be easy as you neither possess the knowledge, tools nor skill. This takes quite a bit of practice and costs money to do before you are able to produce a professional finish. If you don't produce a professional finish then you will just be devaluing your bike as nobody wants to buy a bike with a dodgy looking spray job.

On that note. I like your idea and think the above bike looks GREAT in matt black.

Buy some GMH Black (Chassis Black) and some flattening base from your local auto store. Mix the recommended amount of flattening base with the black and on the condition you know and have the skill and tools to produce all the other essential processes of spray painting, you will have a finish just like the above pic and there will be no side effects. Otherwise i suggest you get someone who is qualified to do it for you. :)
  9. All metallic, pearl and some solid colours are applied as a single pack basecoat which dries flat and then coated with a two pack clearcoat. Doesnt matter how flat the colour is, clearcoat will always dry glossy.
    If you are going to use Acrylic, go for straight flat black. You can get it mixed up at a paint dealer (black tinter & flatting base). Clear is made of the same material so there is no benefit in putting it over the top unless you wanted to apply stickers. You would also have to add flatting base to the clearcoat as well. The problem is that it gets a yellow shade to it when mixed to flatting base.

My advice (take it or leave it) would be to strip the bike, sand back all the farings to a dull finish and take it to panel shop to get primed and painted in two pack. A much more professional and tougher finish.
  10. I have used the Holden chasis flat black on a bike once, it came up looking pretty good, for what was a very cheap job.
    The only draw back was that petrol did eat into it if not washed off, and the tank and seat unit ended up with a gloss over time, just from the buffing it received from my clothing.
  11. Just get some blackboard paint from your local hardware store. That way you can draw maps and pics on your bike tank and everyone can sign it for fun, and you can wash it off when you're done! :D