Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cleaning your baby (bike)

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Saz, Nov 16, 2004.

1. So i was bored, nearest 'good' road is over 30 min and couldn't be bothered so i washed the baby (my gs500)

My point is i have gick (oil) on the left - clutch side - engine casing, just above the gear shift. So decided to clean it up

Q. How neurotic are you about cleaning your baby? :?:
    AND Should you treat it like a machine...VROOM!
    OR a handbag ("how pretty) :?:

And if you know should i have this gick prob, it's only on that side and after i clean it, it drips just above the gear shift :( and makes it gicky!
    service blokes have never said anything

ON the good :D side, it looks much prettier - hehehe pretty!!!!

2. Mine gets washed when it rains, or when it's filthy if it's summer and not going to rain for a while. It's definantly a machine :)

3. Mine's a much loved machine! It gets a wash if someone gives me a REALLY hard time about how dirty it is. My general philosophy is....if its sunny or a nice day, the bike needs to be ridden. I can't see the point in spending ages getting it clean, only to get it dirty again when you go out for a ride shortly afterwards.

I do give it a wash occassionally, but it always rains afterwards, so I figure its bad karma.

Anyway, you boys are there to look after our bikes! I think I was spoilt for a while...I never washed the Duke til I moved back home! That was almost a year after I bought it and it was washed a MINIMUM of once a week!

:D :D :D

4. Mine gets washed once a week . Even use the old toothbrush on the hard to get places . Am i wierd , i dont think so but Rhonda thinks i have a problem .

5. Heya,

I always try to keep my stted clean..People are always commenting how clean and shiny he looks :twisted:

Lisa :twisted:

6. Prolly best GSX1400 Mike and myself stay outta this one there ain't enough bandwidth for both of us to answer....both OCD :LOL:

7. If you want to maintain the resale value for your bike, I would suggest keeping it reasonably clean.
    The combination of Dirt and Sun will cause your paint job to deteriorate faster.
    An occasional polish is a damn good idea.

On a side note,
    have you ever noticed that people tend to treat their partners similar to the way they treat their vehicles? :?: :-k

8. water restrictions is my excuse :LOL:
    I do the chain regulary but the rest when i cant see the color :oops:

9. I think I may take offense to that one....I guess it all depends on how you define treating a partner.

I'm RIDING my bike all the time....I don't know too many guys who would complain about that! :p

On a side note, though, I'm still single!!!!!

:D :D :D

10. Yeah right!

I BLOODY WISH! (Can i say bloody? :?: )

11. You just did :LOL: ......oops!

12. I second everything that Lil said :LOL:

13. I'll try what carver said but i doubt Rhonda will be happy if i try to give HER an oil and lube.

14. I clean Betty (yeah ive named her too :p) try for at least once a fortnight, unless the weather is looking completely shody then ill wait until it fines up a bit, nothing worse than giving her a good wash N polish (yes toothbrush and degreaser comes out when i clean the rear wheel its always looking filthy) only too have her get road grime all thwe way up the fairings.

15. I refuse to perpetuate the vicious cleaning cycle. Dirty, clean it , repeat!!!

But sometime it must be cleaned, I probaby should clean my chain at the moment. And the rest of the bike could do with a bit of a clean but as the ads say "I'm a water saver!!"

16. I'll be upgrading in the next 3-4 months, sounds like a really good clean is coming up.. I may even be able to justify a new power tool for the job. You just can't have enough tools...

17. Speaking of cleaning, I have just grabbed a new polish from Meguirs, brought the paint up a treat on my Duke.

18. Hmm... I hit mine with a hose before I stacked it.

Other than that.. nup never cleaned it!

I just swerve to miss the dirt, petty I don't swerve to miss oncoming vehicles (or something)

19. Hmmmmm, does cleaning the bike make it go faster? no so it doesn't get cleaned by me.

although i just had it serviced by mike (GSX14) as he has started his own service/repair/tune business by the name of OCD:LOL: and it came back looking cleaner than when it rolled out of the showroom brand new.

20. What's wrong with massage oil and KY jelly lube?? :LOL: :LOL: