Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cleaning up alloy

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Eddo, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Hi there

Would appreciate some opinions/advice on restoring alloy parts such as footpeg plates, crank case covers etc. I have a 20 yo Yamaha and I think whats happened is the clear coat over the alloy has been scratched in a number of places and over time the clear coat starts to lift and and then alloy becomes tarnished. Apart from a sand blast I was considering using paint stripper to remove the clear, re polish the alloy with autosol and then reapply a couple of coats of clear.

I was wondering id this is an ok approach and will the paint stripper damage the alloy? Also is there a recommended clear coat I should be using to get the as new factory look.

Thanks in advance
  2. Yes, no, don't know.
  3. I would be careful using paint stripper. Or anything Caustic. It could dis-colour the alloy turning it black. Or worse pit it.
    Autosol will polish it up. But you wont be able to put as clear coat over it then. The chemicals in Autosol will not let the clear stick. Or send it creamy.
    So yeah you can use Autosol but then you will need something to clean it off before putting a clear coat on.
    Autosol will bring them up to a very bright bling polish too. Are you sure you want them that bright??? Chrome like ???
    I would ring an alloy engineering place and get advice off them.
  4. Bead blasting would clean the surface, then I would favour some form of powder coating to mimic the original finish.