Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cleaning up after burnouts

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by Medic please, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Had to get new tyres this week so on the weekend I finished of my rear tyre by doing burnouts until it popped.
    Top fun I'd never done it before. My mate did a top job on the video that will only be shown privately lest my other mate who leases the building gets into trouble.

So to the point.
    Upon arriving home I pondered how to clean up all the molten rubber off the bike.
    Long story short was I discovered that the miracle liquid WD40 comes through again.
    While you have the wheel out give everything that's covered in rubber spray a good soaking with WD40. let it soak for a bit and start wiping.

Had to use a tiny bit of elbow grease in some stubborn spots but generally too easy.
    Got it all off to sparkling except for the really hot bits that melted themselves into the plastic.

I even lube my chain with it. Requires a little extra vigilance to make sure it doesn't go dry. I've been using it for the life of the last back tyre not sure of the kms but didn't have to adjust the chain once.
    Bonus is it always looks as clean as it is.

I use WD40 for all sorts of stuff but has anyone got any nifty uses in regards to bikes of course.

2. oh sh!t man... run... run fast... they'll see the thread soon... run while you still have the chance :p

*initiate wd40 hate thread*

3. WD40 is legendary.

Wouldn't use it on a chain though, its primary purpose in life is to get into and under things and displace water - and as you have demonstrated, rubber doesn't stop it. So when you use it on an o-ring chain, it gets into and under the o-rings and removes the grease that sits behind them, which is what gives o- and x-ring chains their longevity.

4. I know what your saying and agree it's purpose is to penetrate. However as the lubricant is light and chains are constructed with close tolerences very little will actually get past the o ring and certainly not enough to flush out or dilute the internal grease.

After years of trying every chain lube on the market and getting the cranks every time I had to clean it off led to me not maintaining the chain as often as I should have.

As chain lubes are thick and sticky they attract and hold onto dirt dust and grit.

WD40 be compared to the kerosene most use to clean their chain (WD40 does a better job here as well)
    Althought to remove the old chain lubes with kero you usually need to use a soft bristled brush and excessive scruubing can push dirt and kero/solvent in past the o rings.

As I spray the WD40 straight from the can at low pressure, the excess drips off taking the dirt with it and leaving the light lube behind. The propellant evapourates.

Anywho seems to be working for me. This is the least I've ever adjusted a chain and it still looks good.

I know this is one of those many contentious issues such as what oil, tyres, brake pads, blah blah...... so I'm not arguing the point rather than passing on my observations to this point.

I will let you all know eventually how it goes and most likely post the results. Fingers crossed that won't be for a while yet as it seems to be going well so far.

Rant terminated :LOL:

5. Why would you bother cleaning the chain? Are you one of those princesses that needs to have everything spotless?

6. It's also pretty handy for removing tyre rubber that gets vulcanized onto piston skirts during burn-outs.

:LOL:

7. Princess I'm not (if you've ever seen my bike you would quickly retract that accusation and skunk back to your loungeroom for some more armchair riding)) but maybe its a fool that you are. Cleaning the chain is called basic maintenance. If you show such a lack of basic care for machinery then I suggest you should not be operating any.

:soapbox: stepping down now.

8. You should probably see the state of his bike before you decide whether he's likely to give a shit if you think he should clean it. :LOL:

9. WD-40 removes bitumen too, without damage to paint.

10. :LOL:
    Well then we should get on fine then. :beer:
    If you've seen any of the las few pics I've posted you can clearly see the ongoing state that my bike is in.

I have a mechanical background and only do what HAS to be done.

There's a lot to be said for sound and feel :music: :nail:

11. I used to clean chains with kero and toothbrushes as a matter of maintenance, because I tend to flog them a bit with wheelies and the like. Back then I was averaging about 8,000km per top shelf chain, with regular cleaning and lubrication.

My latest chain has never been cleaned once. I plonk some lube on once every month or so, or after a fast ride or a wet or muddy ride, and it's now up around 16,000km with no signs of advanced deterioration and I reckon it'll last that long again. I haven't eased up much on the wheelies either.

I honestly reckon cleaning chains contributes to rooting them early. In fact, I reckon if you let any sort of detergent you might use to clean your bike get on your chain it contributes to rooting it. This is one of many reasons I don't wash my bike at all. Laziness, general slovenliness and a difficulty giving a shit being three of the others!

Anyway, your mileage may vary, I just know there's folks on here who will clean their chain to look cool, and I reckon that's not only silly but roots the chain too.

I'm a believer in the Roarin creed that the best way to clean a chain is to oil it and do 10 minutes at 200.

12. Cool :rofl:

I don't want to drag this on but I definately don't clean it for looks it's more along your lines of laziness. Can't get much easier than spraying a can and for me it saves me having to get messy if I have to work on it.

My thoughts are that it washes away the grit and metal filings that cause a lot of the wear on the sprockets and rollers of the chain that could possibly be trapped by the normal lubes.

Anyway as I posted earlier that the chain was used (up until the bigend ground to a halt) so when I cleaned it with WD when reassembling the bike I though hey this could be just the chain lube to make life easier for a lazy sod like me.
    Nothing to lose, live and learn and to repeat it doesn't show any signs of accelerated wear so far.

lol it actually catches your eye when you look at the bike because it's mostly the only clean thing on the bike.

I never use detergents to clean just my trusty WD and some other cleaning "product." :)

13. I should point out that all this cleaning caper came about because I'm preparing the bike for a race school on Monday.

As I've never been to even a track day before I didn't know what to expect as far as scrutineering. I figure like most if it's clean it's easy to see.

My bike is old so if it looked dirty and unmaintained they would maybe cast a more critical eye over it. I don't believe I"ll have any probs as the complete bike has been rebuilt and rides like new.

I just want a smooth relaxed day so trying to have everything sorted and on the day just concentrate on what I'm there for.

14. Just make sure your throttle snaps back nicely, your tyres are in good condition, all levers operate correctly, no pointy or sharp bits from broken fairings, no leaks...and that's about it. Which race school are you doing?

15. i just clean the visible side plates so my chain looks minty but in fact it's crust ridden... best of both worlds :LOL:

16. Thanks for that it's all good.
    Doing it with circuit breakers.
    Any other advice is more than welcome no matter how silly you may think it is.
    I'm sure there's plenty of things I haven't thought about asking and know that as soon as I leave the track I'll be thinking damn should've asked this or that?

17. That'd be at the Creek then - as long as you have 1-piece or zip together 2-piece leathers, proper boots, etc, can't think of anything else. Stay hydrated and get some good sleep the night before.

18. You and me both. :)

Oh, and 'saving water' is my excuse... I'm really hoping they don't lift the water restrictions anytime soon. Never before has laziness and social piety been such close bedfellows! :grin:

19. :LOL: Agreed 100% I love my laziness hahaaha