Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cleaning tank with vinegar

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Jacob33, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Hi everyone, just wanted to share one of the projects I did to get my VTR 250 back on the road. It might help someone out there with a similar problem.

The crud at the bottom of the fuel tank just had to be taken care of, and my options were to replace or clean it. Using vinegar has been covered in many forums before, but it's a different thing to read about it and do it yourself!

The steps are straightforward, and this is how it went:

1. Disconnected the battery and emptied tank. I used a cheapo siphon pump.

2. Unscrewed tank bolts, disconnected fuel hose and & vacuum tube to remove it from the bike.

3. Disconnected the petcock/fuel tap. I didn't do this at first and later found out it was leaking, making a bit of a mess. Also the vinegar is corrosive to it, so not a good idea to leave it on.

4. Fit a cork stopper at the bottom of the tank. Around $1 from Clarke Rubber.

5. Filled tank with cleaning vinegar. It's cheap stuff, less than $3 buys 2 litres from the supermarket.

6. Screwed on fuel cap and let the tank sit. I rested on a milk crate, the main thing is to leave it off the ground to prevent stratching.

7. I went down to the garage every once in a while to shake it and loosen up the crap at the bottom.

8. After a week, I drained the tank. Kept the vinegar, as it may come in handy in the future. This stuff cleans everything.

9. Flushed the tank with fresh water from a garden hose and some banking soda to neutralise the vinegar. Did this several times with just water until the crud flakes stopped pouring out. It was amazing how clean it was. No relining was necessary in my situation.

10. Dried tank. Sprayed WD-40 inside to prevent rust, as it happens very quick.

11. Replaced the petcock, and connected the hoses to the carburetor. Ended up getting a better quality fuel hose. It's a common one for the VTR, 8mm I think. Slightly longer than the original one, because it was easier to connect.

12. Connected the battery and poured some petrol into the tank. A tip I learned was to tilt it backwards while starting the bike. It took a few tries, but it then fired up and was running.

Finally bolted the tank back on and it was good to go.

Vinegar was cheap and worked very well. As a bonus it's non-toxic to be around.

IMG_5110.JPG tank1.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. aluminium tank? any forum discussion of citric acid vs vinegar?
  3. Thanks for the detailed information.
    We usually only goes with the hot water.
    Be careful of any flame inducing devices while cleaning the tank though...