Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cleaning spokes

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by I Adore Vic, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Hey all. I tried to do a search but got waay too many results and most had nothing to do wtih my query anyway. :? I'm doing something wrong.

Anyway..the spokes on my virago are looking dull. I've always cleaned tehm with WD40 on a rag, and this brings back some of the sheen, but no matter how much I try, most of them have lost that smooth shine.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how best to clean them? I want them like new again. :grin:
  2. Tiny stone chips and just the rigours of the road mean they'll never look like new again, but why don't you try cleaning them with degreaser, and polishing them with Autosol?

3. Put a blob of Solvol Autosol on a strip of rag about 1/2 meter long and about 40cm wide, wrap it once around the spoke and pull it backwards and forwards by the ends, working it progressively along the length of the spoke. Repeat with clean rag of similar dimensions. It's hard yakka, but it works....
  4. Cool! Thanks guys. :grin: Will do.
  5. For all chrome work as well as polished alloy, the only thing I have ever used is Brite Shine. It comes in a yellow tin about 80mm round and 80mm tall and it contains a cotton wadding type product covered in a polish. Simple to use, you grab a small bit and run it on the chrome work, leave it a bit then wipe it all off with a soft cloth.

A little bit goes a very long way and it's good enough to remove most stains and even light surface rust. The more you rub, the better it cleans.. My last tin lasted years and years...

The last tin I got (a week ago) came from SuperCheap Autos at Campbelltown, NSW.

I hope this helps...

6. the brite shine i have found will only actually clean the surface of chrome, it doesn't polish chrome as it can't penetrate the surface

but its is absolutely brilliant on alloy
  7. The trick to keeping anything clean easily, is to keep it polished.

Yes its a pain i know doing all the little fiddly bits, but once its done preventative cleaning maintenance is so much easier..
  8. well i used to clean the chain with a sprey bottle and fill it with kero so i would do the chain and when i did the chain with the tooth brush and kero bottle i used to give the wheels a sprey down and let them soak for a bit then get in there with a rag (and brush if need be) and give them a wipe down then hose them off!

Rims where always powder coated so brake dust didn't hang around for long... That el cheapo $2 degreaser always worked well, but kero in the bottle was always the bomb!
  9. Hey, according to reviews on Webbike world the answer is