Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cleaning Spokes

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by 84SR250, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Hi guys,

My spokes have a fair bit of surface rust and calcification on them. I tried attacking them with the dremel and sand papaer but that was so time consuming. Any other suggestions without taking the wheels off?

2. My first bike had lots of spokes. I loved them at first then realised what a pain they were to clean. In the end I began to use a small handbroom (as in dustpan and broom - $2 from Aldi).....used in conjunction with a biucket of car wash liquid. That worked ok but I was really glad my bext bike had no spokes!
  3. Thanks for that, i think i'll need something a little more heavy duty though due to the rust. I'm thinking a wire wheel attachment on a drill might work to get the rust off
  4. It's radical, but take the wheels off, strip the tyres and take it to an engineering shop that has a bead blaster. They can take all the mung off and leave the spokes completely clean. Then, of course, you will need to have them rust-proofed and spray-painted (or even powder-coated?).

I guess it depends on how valuable the bike is, how long you intend to keep it, yada, yada, yada, as the above process is likely to also be a bit expensive.
  5. thanks RC. i had considered that but you hit the nail on the head with the value of the bike. It only cost $900 bucks so i really am only trying to sink money into parts that can be removed and used on my next project
  6. Fair call !!=D>