Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cleaning spark plug chambers

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by ol9fingers, Nov 3, 2011.

1. G'day Forum,

The chambers that house my spark plugs are really dirty. When i pull the plugs out i can see a ring of rubbish where the plug sits.

Whats the best way to clean them out? If i try to clean them with the plugs out all the junk will fall into the cylinder. Seems like a crazy design, with just rubber rings around the spark plug leads.

Hope someone has a solution..

Attached Files:

2. I usually remove the lead, then blast the cavity with compressed air before removing the plug. I have been known the use an old toothbrush and some petrol as well, prior to a water rinse then compressed air. As long as you do this it should stay clean.

If the seat is dirty (e.g where the base of the plug sits flush) then I've no idea, at least without removing the heads I've never done it.
  3. Bear in mind that it's not the end of the world if some of the crap goes down the 'ole. Not to be recommended but unlikely to result in any long term damage. It will be blown out through the exhaust (or back out of the plug hole if the plug isn't back in) the first time the engine is cranked on the starter.