Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

cleaning/painting pipes

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by robbie55, Apr 15, 2010.

1. My pipes are looking pretty stuffed atm - muffler is fine though. No sign of rust but what was silver, is now black and the once smooth finish is now like course sandpaper. Have read somewhere that it may be just burnt on road junk and oven cleaner was recommended. After a thorough application though this has done nothing to budge the baked on stuff and I think sanding it of will be the only way. Of course this would leave me real scratched up pipes. (if you have any other ideas - please let me know)

So was looking at high temp paints and wanted to know what the general view was - what are the best ones? and once I start doing this am I going to be reapplying every few months?
    The other option was to powder or ceramic coat, has anyone done this? Is it pricey? How long is it off the road for?

2. I’ve previously used an orange based cleaner (orange power?), really strong stuff, and a wet, fine sandpaper to clean pipes. I found this worked well but not as well as id like. I then got some high temp paint (maybe head gasket paint? A mat silver colour), taped and news papered up the bike and went nuts with the can. It looked really nice and worked well with the pipe temp. The only issue I had with the paint is that you can’t really clean it if you scuff/melt you boots on it or road grime, so you might need occasional touch ups. Other than that I’d recommend it. Also, I used two coats of paint (one can).
  3. Thanks James - do you remember what brand of paint it was and did you have to warm the pipes up and then cool then repeat etc or was it just on and done?
  4. The other (more expensive) alternative, is to have the pipes bead blasted so that they are completely clean and THEN apply the heat-resistant paint that James suggested. I don't know the brand but it's favoured much by hot-rodders so you'll probably get the details from one of their magazines, or you could just ring SuperCheap.
  5. :-k can’t remember. It was nothing special though, just a $10-15ish can from supercheap I think. If I remember correctly they have different grades (temperatures) for different applications. Go for the highest temp to be safe. There should be instructions on the can but I think you wait till dry to the touch, then idle for 5-10mins to ‘bake’ the paint in. I did this twice. Don’t quote me on this though :D; I did it on a whim 3 years ago. Sold the bike still looking good a year later.
  6. Just try the wet and dry first. You shouldn't leave scratches if you use a reasonably fine paper and if it scratches a little go finer and try to take the scratch out.

It may take a lot of work though.

Mine were never in showroom condition to start with but had a heap of baked on road grime and that resembled the moon's surface. I spent an afternoon with a buket of water and wet and dry and although nothing like perfect (they had scrape marks in to start) they came up better than I expected.

Then again those who know my bikes also no my expectations are low.
  7. VHT High temp paint is hat you want for headers, but you must follow instructions precisely.

Regards, Andrew.
  8. Never powdercoat your exhaust.... will look great until you start it. Then it starts to burn off and look sterrible and ends up being a waste of money.

If you don't use the high temp paint route, ceramic coating does look great and work great, though of course it is more expensive. Don't have my bike done, however I did have an exhaust on an off road racing buggy done years ago and it was great. Not only did it look great, but it was extremely easy to clean as the dirt, mud, etc did not bake on to it as it had done previously when it was just painted. It also prevented the heat soak into surrounding parts near the exhaust. The exhaust ran under the sump and out the other side, and after the coating the oil temp was lower due to less heat soak onto the sump (previously had exhaust wrap on that area to try to help), and it was a lot easier to work on because you basically felt virtually no heat when working very close to the exhaust as opposed to previously not being able to get anywhere near it. I loved it. My next bike will be coated, I think it will be great in summer traffic and getting less heat in city traffic, etc.
  9. Theres special header/high temp paint you can get for that sort of thing made by VHT.

I would just say get some wax and grease remover to get it clean then get some coarse sandpaper and work your way down to some finer stuff.

Primer (using the VHT one of course) then paint!