Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cleaning painted wheels

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by Technik, Jun 7, 2007.

1. I have a '02 ZX636, the wheels are colour-coded.

Does anyone know what is the best way to get rid of dust brake marks on painted wheels without damaging them?

I tried Meguairs wheel cleaners, it didn't get rid of it - perhaps I should try stronger stuff like methlyn spririts?!?

Any help is appreciated :)

2. Get some of that concentrated orange cleaner stuff - it's called D-Solve-It.

Use REALLY hot water.

Rub the marks with the neat D-Solve-It, then soak a flannel or towelling rag/cloth in the very hot water, wring it out a bit, then press it onto the wheel. Wait 5 minutes and then rub the marks away.

D-Solve-It is great, but you must apply it undiluted, and you must give it a bit of time to work. As always - TRY A TEST PATCH FIRST! I buy D-Solve-It at my local supermarket. No, I'm not on commission.

Meths and Autosol in my experience both dull the paint finish.

Happy cleaning!

Old Blue

3. I usually just wash the wheels when Im washing the bike then once all the dirt is off use a little crc-556 or wd-40 sprayed on a rag and give the stubborn marks a little wipe, works for me.

4. I heard the Mcguires stuff was the best to get :shock:

I got some Polyglaze wheel cleaner stuff myself in an aerosol, seems to do the trick. White wheels look nice... but they suck to look after.

5. hey, i use kerosene for really bad ones, this can frade the colour over time though, you could also try WD40 or Mr sheen :) all work a teat on my bike...cheers,

6. Yes I suspect Kerosene/Methy would damage the wheels...

D-Solve-it? sounds like an engine degreaser. Wouldn't mind to give it try though. :?

7. Worst comes to worst, try some cheap nutted chocolate.

Laugh all you want, but its a great light abrasive :p Dont forget a bit of elbow grease.

8. Kerosene on a cloth.

9. Kero is your friend

10. Tried Meguiars Scratch X on the weekend, it worked wonder - got rid of all the brake dust marks...looks like new now!

:grin:

11. Another good one is window cleaner.. Also try and keep your wheels wiped down regularly to avoid the dust staining them..

12. any cutting compound (cut&polish) works wonders, and leaves a wax coating which is easier to clean the grime off