Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cleaning out the fuel pump

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by banditbob, Feb 16, 2007.

1. My fuel pump has been playing up for a few days and has left me stranded for hours untill it got going.

The fellow at the local workshop recommended I try pulling out the fuel pump and cleaning out the dirt from inside.

My question is... how do you pull out the cables attached to the fuel pump.?

There are two at one end, and a circuit connected in behind. I had a go at the cables but they're hard to remove, and I can barely even get at the circuit connection.

2. Before you go pulling it off, try backflushing it if it is possible, Just detach the hoses from eitehr end(or if it's bolted to the bottom of the tank, unbolt it) and flush some fuel under pressure BACKWARDS through it.
    Then fit a fuel filter after the pump, a strainer before the pump and run Nulon Total Fuel system cleaner through the bike.

Regards, Andrew.