Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cleaning Leather Jackets

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by suzyq, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on cleaning leather jackets? I have bought one on Ebay, the condition is pretty good, no scrapes or anything, but it has white patches on it that are a bit dirty. Nothing too bad but it could do with a bit of a clean. Has anyone got any ideas??

2. Send it off to get dry cleaned... will probably cost about $35 though.
  3. Take it down to a Mister Minit in a shopping centre and ask them to clean it up for you - that's what I was told by a guy who works in a motorcycling shop. Let me know if this works! :grin:
  4. Eucalyptus oil is supposed to work quite well, it's often found in many commercial leather cleaners.
  5. Went to one of those home idea shows at Jeff's shed, bought a tub of leather rejuvenator stuff. Kind of a wax, rub it in, buff it off, leather comes up like new. Doesn't rot the stitching either. Cost about $20 a tub
  6. Can't vouch for this stuff, but it's supposedly good:

I think it was snakegal [? memory??] who has a leather product business... worth pm-ing her.

My tip, Damp soapy cloth and scrub, then let dry and then buff with something... dubbin is fine for leather jackets with synthetic stitching... which I'm told is most jackets - no liability implied or expressed!!

7. Doesn't dubbin soften the leather, is this safe?
  8. Mars leather recommended dubbins.

It's just another wax based conditioner.

My PI crashed RJAYs leather jacket was dubbinsed every now and then and it held up a treat to the beating. I got some stitching repaired and it's my spare now.

9. Clean a leather jacket? Cleaning a leather jacket would be like...glueing fresh tread over your chicken strips. They're supposed to look (and smell) like they've been ridden, fought and slept in.

suziq - you should be ashamed of yourself. Leather Tuscadero would be mortified.
  10. Leathers

Hi Sue,
    I'm the leather guru! :cool: lol, not really... but I'd like to think I do know my stuff after working with leather for over 7years.

My thoughts regarding dub..n*, stay away. It's made from animal fats (tallow) which means not only is it grossly overpriced, but it clogs up the pores of the leather (preventing it's natural breathability) and dulls it off too. Not to mention leaving it tacky to touch. It works really well as a dirt attractor because of this too and rots stiching.

I'm not pushing my product, but whatever you use, make sure it is free of animal fats (for the above reasons) and silicon (which is a chemical that ulimately has a drying effect on the leather, even if it appears to work wonders initially).

As for cleaners, you can use a pure soap (such as lux flakes or velvet soap-from the supermarket) mixed with warm water. I find a damp cloth and toothbrush used with this works well. But don't forget once cleaned and dried you need to use a conditioner to replace the moisture lost in cleaning. This will also act as a protectant.

Any more q's just ask! :wink:

Hope that helps you!

11. The above is right, soap and warm water.
    And do a web search for leather care products so that you will have an idea of what is available.
    Type in "cleaning and care of leather jackets "and see what you come up with.
  12. I use sunlight soap and warm water to clean the jacket, then use renapur leather balsam on it. Comes up quite nicely!
  13. Saddle soap.

Joseph Lyyddys is best. Recommended by Jaguar for leather seats. Get it from most sadlle shops.

All my leather harnes was saddle soaped. My boots, strides and jacket same. Polishes well.

Don't use neatsfoot oil, at least use it sparingly. Rots stitching. Good if leather is cracked from drying out. The use soap.
  14. Hmmm personally I wouldn't use saddle soap. Much the same as dubbin, animal fats. I never liked it on my saddles....but each to their own.

Renapur is good, my product is made from the same ingredients (I have worked for Renapur). Mine is locally Australian made, not from England. ;)
  15. Re: Leathers

That's not what I find. (though I'm not arguing with your experience)

Dubbin is less than $5 a tin, which lasts ages. Hardly expensive.
    Doesn't leave mine tacky at all, and defiantly doesn't attract dirt.
    My leathers have white patches and it keeps them perfect, they would pass the nappysan challenge any day.
    It contains eucalyptus oil so dirt and grease wipe straight off.

I'm yet to hear from someone who has experienced stitch rotting first hand.
    It is mostly fatty lard stuff, so would make sense that it might help mould or something grow. But I'm yet to see proof (I think its a job for mythbusters).

I will keep using it anyway :grin:
  16. Yeah I'm with Jmuzz above.
    Horse and bike riders have been using dubbing for almost a century.
    I've used it for over twenty years myself, on boots and bike jackets, I've never had stitch rot, and that's on a leather jacket I've been wearing most of my life.
    I've got a pair of bushwalking boots that I've used since the mid 80's and they have been re-soled a dozen times, nowt wrong with the stitching or the leather and I have used dubbing on them constantly.
    I'm thinking a few people don't like dubbing because it's made from animals.
    I'm going to keep using it as well.
  17. ...leather is made from animals too
  18. As explained to me - so I'm no expert, but believe I'm repeating this faithfully... natural fibre stitches, namely cotton, will rot with a conditioner like dubbin.

A leather jacket claimed to be water proof will have natural stitching [the stitches will swell when wet blocking up stitching holes], otherwise AFAIK, most leather biking jackets don't have natural fibre stitches so a fatty based conditioners shouldn't rot the stitching.

I suspect though that renapur and similar products condition, clean and moisturisers leather better than something like dubbin...

Regarding dubbin's tackiness - when I use it, I let my jacket sit in a warm spot for a day and the dubbin soaks in and isn't tacky any longer.

19. :grin: :LOL: Tongue must have been firmly in cheek to make that cheeky comment! :)
  20. hehe yeah it just seemed contradictory to say people dont like dubbin as its from animals when they are looking for a product to use on someting (leather) that was from animals anyway :wink: