Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cleaning helmet lining - what's your method?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by rennie, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Hey all, i searched and couldn't find anything so here goes...

After 18 months of riding now, i decided to take out the removable lining from my helmet and give it a clean. I just filled up the sink with warm water and used some standard laundry liquid. Seemed to work ok, however it takes friggin ages to dry again and it begs the question... is there a better method or product??

2. i havent washed mine yet, so this may be a very useless answer? maybe can you put it in the drier?
  3. Your method is sound, it's the best way to clean it.
    Just make sure you rinse it thoroughly.
    As for drying, somewhere warm and preferably in the shade.
  4. I give mine a thorough wipe down with my hair twice a day.
  5. Lingerie bag washing machine in with all the other washing and drier. don't take it out of the bag when you put it in the drier.
  6. +1 TC. If they can take the pounding the wind and rain and you head gives them, a washing machine is a doddle.....
  7. doesnt the tags/ box instructions tell you how to clean them?
  8. nah, there are no cleaning instructions in mine at least.

It all worked out fine, i just need to be sure i don't need to use it again for at least 24hrs while it dries out. Either that or chuck it in the drier on low in a lingerie bag (thought that was the best suggestion)...