Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cleaning chain lube off tyre

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by robbie55, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Totally dumb I know but somehow managed to get a whole lot of chain lube on my rear tyre. There is a spot around the size of a tennis ball that has been there since Sunday and seems to be stuck there pretty good. What's best to use to rid of it? Kero? Some detergent? May seem dumb but I have no idea.

2. kero/degreaser, on a toothbrush, in your driveway. Don't use detergent.
  3. Cool thanks
  4. Why not? It'll leave less oily residue than kero would and it'll be kinder to everything than degreaser, most of which are quite caustic.

I'd go for metho if I could be bothered. Historically I haven't and have just ridden gently until any contaminants are scrubbed off. Never had a problem.
  5. In the clear weather we've been having in Sydney I'm not concerned although it is a large enough patch to still feel, just don't want to be caught out if the roads get wet.

I'll test a bit each of the kero and metho carefully on the wall of the tyre and see which is most effective using the least amount of each.

Thanks again for both the replies.
  6. Now there's a thinker, will give it a try this arvo