Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cleaning chain lube off tyre tread

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by GJ384, Aug 15, 2013.

1. So on the recent Wollombi ride via OPH, one of the others in our group (forgot your name, sorry!) pointed out that I had a bit of chain lube on the sidewall of my rear tyre. I'd noticed it previously but thought nothing of it, however after checking it out at Wollombi I noticed that the lube had made its way (presumably via centrifugal force) right around to the tread. Needless to say I rode fairly gingerly home.

Can anyone give me any tips on how to clean the stuff off without making the tread even more slippery? I've thought about having a go at it with tyre cleaner - perhaps something like one of these...

http://www.autobarn.com.au/mothers-foaming-wheel-tyre-cleaner-710ml-655924
    http://www.autobarn.com.au/crc-so-easy-400g-tyre-cleaner-aerosol-5045
    http://www.autobarn.com.au/armor-all-tyre-foam-500g-40515

... but I can't be 100% sure that any of these won't make the tread more slippery.

Should I have a go at it with a degreaser instead? Or just use a normal auto detergent (CT18 or similar)? Or would it be safer simply to scrub it off with some rough sandpaper?

2. chain cleaner or kero and a rag.

I just use chain cleaner to clean the entire surface of my tires when i fit them.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. if you wanted to get fancy you could get some wax and grease remover/prepsol but its the same as chain cleaner or very similar.

4. Fantastic - kero it is! I was worried that might damage the rubber for some reason. Thanks.

5. Wash with water after if you are concerned .

6. Wizz on it

• Funny Funny x 1

7. I thought that was just for jellyfish?

Have I been doing it wrong?

..............the answer is yes.....yes mate - you have.

8. Ride it off.

No biggie. I've done it before and my tyre was covered completely in the stuff.

It will wiggle a bit and then bob's your uncle. It ain't as bad as you think.

9. How did that happen:p

10. Heheh. You had to be there, man! :):)

Basically a full can of chain lube exploded over the tyre after my tail bag fell onto the chain. This happened at ~$1.90

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Crikey Gareth, that was weeks ago Mate!

Kero, rag, and a wash off after.

.................... and i answer to most names, so no worries there.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ah what's a chain fellas?(n)

13. Mr shaftie over here......:D

• Like Like x 1
  14. Do a burnout

• Like Like x 1

15. Pezza!

16. I've come out of hibernation