Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cleaning chain lube crud

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Jeimbo, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Howdy

Problem I have is chain lube crud thrown off chain and onto rear wheel and swingarm.

How to clean it off? Well I know acetone will do it and the Amourall GP Cleaner won't but acetone's harsh stuff so I'd be interested to hear of other alternatives because the shit makes the bike look lame. Specailly as she's new :LOL:
  2. Kerosene will do the trick and shouldnt hurt the piant. It desolves grease and oils.

You may want to start cleaning the chain regulary with kerosene as well, so you dont end up with the filthy build up
  3. turps works for me.
  4. Ahhh, good work. Thanks
  5. Well mine's a brand spanker with 300km on the dial so I think it's just too much product on the chain!! Seems to be Belray toothpaste.
  6. Kero only, won't hurt the seal in an O or X ring chain.
  7. Mate use window cleaner and let it soak for a bit, then rinse with hot water.

Other option is use some CRC, then rinse it off with hot water.

My final word of advice is, keep your chain clean from crap, and every now and then give it a bit of a squirt with CRC Tac2 after a ride, or in your case maybe once a week as you ride to work. Chains are sealed at the pivot points, and believe or not really like to be kept clean and lightly lubricated rather than full of lube, which then causes dirt and stuff to get in there and cause more wear then you think.. Some people wont agree with me, but its how i do it and have never had any problems.
  8. One word - Scottoiler!
  9. G'day everyone,.....

To clean the crud thrown off I just use 'Mr Sheen' its good on the wheels and the paintwork,polishes the bike ok as well!

Though it is good on occasion to clean the chain back to when it was shiny new just like the sprocket.

As above,.....best not to let to much gritt and crud build up in the long run.

Dr Who?
  10. Neva tried Mr Sheen before Doc. I thought that was for furniture. :grin:

I've only ever tried & used Kerosine.
  11. I had to do this today and I can confirm "Wax and grease remover" does the job. Degreaser does a much quicker, easier job, but some people on here said it might damage the paint.
  12. Is it ok to use the same chain lube cleaner you use to actually clean the chain?
  13. G'day everyone,.....

I would'nt use Mr Sheen to clean the chain itself just the wheels swingarms and bodywork etc where some fling gets to.
    Its ok for that.

Cleaning the chain/sprocket itself I would use Kerro.

Dr Who?
  14. I use Kero,

First I rub down the chain with a rag soaked in kero, then I go over it with a toothbrush and some more kero, then a rag again to soak up the excess, let that sit for a while and let the kero evaporate and spray on the lube, clean excess - let it settle for a while and then give it another spray and let it set.

Make sure you take the bike for a quick spin first too, warms up the chain and also makes it easier to get the crud out.

You can always read this great article, it's what I read to get going - http://www.ccsbr.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=1
  15. Cleaned and Oiled,...

G'day everyone,......

I have just finnished cleaning my bikes chain,....sprocket,..and swing-arm.
    I took off all the trim like the chain guard and that little cover that go's over the rear wheel. (forgotten what the darned thing is called)

Now with greater access to the swingarm etc I gave the chain and swingarm a good rubdown with Kerro and the runners where the chain runs along. Cleaned off all the built up crud and now she looks like new again.

Gave her a hose off with water (lite to medium misting spray not stream)
    Made sure not to spray water directly onto wheel bearings.

Now all crud washed off,...let area drip dry for an hour then wiped down with dry rag,...relubed chain.

While chain etc drip dryed,..sprayed trim/chain guards with a vynal cleaner used on trucks as it soaks into plastic and keeps it looking new.

Finnished detail on rest of bike and then put all trim back together.
    Now she looks like new all over again!
    :grin: :grin: :grin:

With my luck it will now rain monday!!!!

Dr Who?
  16. Linux - that's a great link.

I love the double toothbrushes... I'm definitely on the case with that one! Pity I just threw out a couple of old brushes lying around.

My technique involves kero and a rag, and occasionally a tooth brush dipped in kero. The rear wheel is kero and raggeed AND then mr sheened to help minimise future stickons.

I use Motul chain lube (Seany put me onto it). It barely flings off and makes keeping the chain lubed and clean a relative breeze. Pricey though.

I've used Shell chain lube, Shell chain wax and some other brand of chain lube but the Motul rocks them all.

17. Is kero ok to use on polished rims?
  18. Kero is fine on pretty much anything, if you are worried test on an inconspicuous (spelling?) area first!
  19. thanks for the info.