Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cleaning air filters

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by NutJob, Apr 9, 2014.

1. I am putting back together a 1977 CJ360 (similar to a CB360). The air filters are hard to find new so I was thinking of cleaning them. They are mainly just dirty but do have areas where, what I assume is petrol, has dribbled into the air box and been absorbed by the filter. They seem to be made of cotton. I was thinking of washing them in petrol to remove the grease build up and then washing in warm soapy water. I was wondering if this is the right process or if there is a better way to clean them, any advice would be great.

2. Cannot tell you about OEM filters but K&N (for example) advise customers to never use petrol to clean their filters and sell a product in a spray can for the purpose.

3. Kero, then soap and water, petrol eventually rot's a foam filter.
    I do not remember what the CJ filter was made of.
    In 77 a lot of the Honda filters where paper.

4. Thanks Titus and Eamonn. Bit more research and I think it a paper but it is hard to find some info. Everything I read says to just blow out paper filters. I'll see how that goes.

5. Take em apart, buy some car filters that have the same elements, cut these up and glue them back together with gorilla glue - theres some stuff on youtube about this. it does work and as good as new.