Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cleaning a foam Air Filter....

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by Grunge, Jul 12, 2006.

1. I've also asked this question on the Spanner Day Thread, but just thought I might get more responses in here. :p

Just wondering, as I'm trying to clean out the air filter on my ZXR250.
    The manual says get engine oil with SAE30.
    I assume it's okay to use motor oil (for cars) when it's years old?
    I was going to use the one that I spotted in the carport, dad prolly had it but didn't use it (it's unopened.) I noticed that the batch was made in March '03. Is there going to be a problem with that?

2. I would say that since it is being used for an air filter, then no. I am unsure if oil degrades over time (without it being in an engine), but since it is only being to trap dust/dirt particles and the like I couldn't see there being a problem even if it had.

Don't quote me on this though, I'm far from an expert.

3. Wafer type filters need to use the spray on oil. Foam style filters use specific oils.

To clean them, douse in metho and then rinse with water. Wash in warm soapy water and rinse again. Let it dry in the sun.
    Put the filter in a large sealable plastic bag and pour some filter oil in the bag. Squash it up and work the oil through the filter. It doesn't have to be soaked, just wet through. Leave it to dry for 30-40 minutes before installing it back in the bike.

I use TwinAir Foam Filter Oil for my dirtbike. I prefer the TwinAir oil because it's very thin and blue. This makes it easy to work through and changes the colour of the filter to a light blue when properly applied.

4. Are you sure? 'Coz when I asked the guy at the bike store about it, he asked me what bike I rode, and then said that regular motor oil is okay.
    Also I double checked the maintenance manual and it said SAE30 grade oil is okay.

I was going to douse in ker and then rinse with water and wash in warm soapy water and then rinse.

5. If your filter currently has motor oil in it you will need to use kero. If it has proper filter oil in it the metho is the go.

There are foam filters and there are foam filters. Some are meant to use motor oil (like on some mowers) and others filter oil. The later has a different viscosity and "tackiness". It is also easier to uniformly apply.

6. If your filter currently has motor oil in it you will need to use kero. If it has proper filter oil in it the metho is the go.

There are foam filters and there are foam filters. Some are meant to use motor oil (like on some mowers) and others filter oil. The later has a different viscosity and "tackiness". It is also easier to uniformly apply.

Both of them are designed to stop half house bricks and require frequent cleaning to operate efficiently.
    Years ago when I was in the motor trade all the racing engines that had oiled foam filters all had evidence of dust in carbies and inlet manifolds, every one of them and I have remained unconvined of their worth ever since. much of the problem is in the oiling, both oil used and how it is applied. Good point about choosing a colour that enables you to verify uniform coverage.

ive also seen the same problem with K&N's. Both types are very dependant on correct oiling.

7. Hmm.. good point.. well.. how do I know what oil's been used on it?
    Should I wash with Metho and then Kero then warm soapy water, and then use whatever oil I want on it?
    THat way I could just use Kero all the way or Metho...
    Hope that makes sense to you.

8. Personally I wouldn't use motor oil as it's not tacky. It's supposed to be slippery so that would be counter-intuitive to me.
    I run a twin air foam filter and twin air oil on my KX250 and there is never evidence of dirt making its way into the carbies or engine. Which is quite amazing considering the dusty conditions I ride in over summer! The trick is to keep up the maintenance.

9. If it's plain old foam then i've got an almost full bottle of the Shell foam filter 'oil' that i no longer use. I had a foam filter in the FZR250 and with that stuff it certainly seemed to do the job well. FZR1000 i've got a reusable cloth fabric filter which i use the K&N cleaner and oil with.

Can't remember what the foam filter oil is worth off the shelf... but if your coming along to coffee i'll bring it down, just make sure you PM me and let me know. :grin: I'm forgetful like that. :wink:

10. I hope you got my PM, but just to be safe I'm posting to say YES!!! I'll bring some $$$ for you along too, as well as gettting coffee... :p