Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cleaned the carbs, bike starts without choke

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by SaneForest, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Hi everyone,

I recently had some trouble with my Suzuki Intruder VL250, it's 2006 model and done about 11,500 km. The throttle would cut out as I turned it just past a 1/4 turn then cut back in at 3/4 if i kept turning it. If i stopped turning the throttle at half or somewhere near there, the bike would just stall as it didn't seem to be getting any fuel.

Long story short, my mechanic was booked out for at least two months, so I cleaned out the carburettor myself. The bike no longer cuts out at any point when twisting the throttle.

But it now starts without the choke, where previously it needed the choke every time.

A little extra info. Before I cleaned the carbs out, I dropped the bike a couple of times practicing slow speed maneuvers (I got my P's though, yay!). I can't be sure if dropping the bike was the cause of it, but I can smell fuel in the oil. Also, my local bike shop parts salesman thought oil might have got into the air filter when I dropped it, causing it to run rich and start without the choke.

I don't really know where to start diagnosing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is my first bike, so bear with me if I haven't provided enough information or need clarification on some thing.

• Like Like x 1
  2. if you can smell fuel in your motor oil you must change the oil and filter NOW before you do any thing else ,,,
  3. Okay, cool, thanks tiprat. The bike now has new oil and filter.

So now that's done, whats a good place to start working this out?
  4. pull out your spark plugs and see what colour they are ,
  5. starting without a choke may be nothing to worry about. i dont know about your bike in particular so you can take this with a grain of salt.

the choke usually restricts air into the engine, raising the fuel to air mix to help the engine start.

if you have cleaned out the carbs and it now starts without any choke, it would suggest that the fuel is being let into the engine at a higher rate.

there are a couple of scenarios that could be happening here (that i know of):
    1) you have cleaned out the carbs and now it is running close to how it was ment to (best outcome)
    2) someone neglected the bike a bit before you, and instead of actually fixing the route cause of the problem, they adjusted the mixture to compensate. this would mean that you will be running a little rich (not a bad outcome)
    3) you broke something (bad outcome) :)

so, my suggestion would be to try whatever they say first :) but ride it for 500k's or so and reinspect the plugs, compare to the colour charts and see if its running rich.

out of curiosity, how were the old plugs? and the air filter?

also, where were you smelling the oil? did you drain it, take it else where, then smell it? or did you smell it on the bike?
    being carbed, fuel can evaporate from the bowls.
    not to mention, the fuel tank is somewhat directly above the engine.

so take all due caution, but it may be nothing actually wrong. the bike starting without a choke now will make it much easier to start it in the winter
  6. On my bike the choke isn't really a choke, but a fuel enricher. Currently using the choke makes the plugs sooty black but after a short ride they return to normal. It seems to start perfectly with no choke, showing no soot and no issues starting from cold.

I don't know how old the air filters are, they're what was on the bike when I bought it. I'll probably clean them soon. Spark plugs would easily be less than a year old.

I smelt the oil from the oil filler hole, it was definitely a strong smell of fuel. It's fine now that it's been changed. It hasn't been long enough to tell if it's leaking from somewhere. I rechecked the float height after my last post here, but that seems to be spot on. Plus I accidentally left the petcock on prime and the oil didn't seem to have fuel leaking into it overnight :)

I think you're right Necros, It does seem like the bike is probably running normally now and it's mostly me not being used to it. As for starting in winter, well, I live in tasmania so that'd be just great if it was easier to start in winter :) It can be quite cold. Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated.