Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

claustrophobic in helmet?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by MattyB, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Usually, after not riding for atleast a couple of hours, (worse first thing in the morning) I gear up and put my helmet on and instantly I get tight chested.

I wouldn't say hard to breathe, but I tend to take a few deep breaths to try and relieve the uncomfortable feeling.

And as soon as I start riding, I'm fine, I don't get it at the lights when I'm stopped or whatever, only just after i've lidded up.

Anyone else get this?

Do you think it's claustrophobia, or maybe I just get a bit anxious before a ride?

Just curious is all.
  2. It's just a little anxiety attack.

You're probably mildly traumatised from when your exGF used to put a paper-bag over your head :p
  3. Do you ever get claustrophobic in any other circumstances? ie in elevators, if you were to walk into a wardrobe or other small space and close the door or just with the helmet?

I'm a newbie rider and find I'm still getting used to the feel and weight of wearing a helmet - tend to put it on and move it around (as much as I can, since it does 'fit'!) a little until I feel comfy with it, but that's it.
  4. At a guess I would say it's a small dose of anxiety before the ride, like a bit of an adrenalin rush. If it was claustrophobia you would want to take the helmet off almost immediately through fear/thought of suffocation as well as have quick shallow breathing amongst a hundred other reactions. As you said, once you're riding you're fine so dont give it any more thought, you're just excited ! :)
  5. I get something similar, I just put the lid on with the visor open so its fresh air I'm breathing... :)
  6. Naw, your mother wanted to switch roles for a change, I felt obligated. :p
  7. I get the same thing sometimes before I leave work after reading about people binning it and watching stunt vids gone wrong on youtube - and thats well before I throw the lid on.

As soon as I sit on the bike, it's all forgotten - guess it is a little anxiety.
  8. I got an Arai XD cause I wanted a bit of breathing space (I had the same reaction as you putting on normal helmets) but now that I've I hit the road with it on, I've decided I'd prefer something snugger ... my head moved around in the XD and the impact was a bit of a bellringer.
  9. Anxiety would be my guess.

I get the same sort of feeling sometimes. I beleive in my case its because i fear not returning home, however once on the bike im fine.

I guess it is probably the same feeling anyone who partakes in dangerous activities on a regular basis gets just before getting on with it.

Seems like a lot of us here have the same reactions and your not alone.
    Makes sense to be a little anxious when you know your taking a risk, strapping on the lid is the point of no return.

Could be one of those "lose the feeling and you'll lose the caution" things.
  10. I get that same feeling too... i put it down to being a newbie on a bike though!! I've found opening my visor (or just having a clear visor on) helps it alot
  11. I sometimes get like this too. I put it down to mild anxiety. I find it worse in the heat though.
  12. Matty
    my memory is a tad vague

but havent /didnt You personally visit
    a Lot of the injured riders last year ?

this could have a psychological effect on you

cut yourself some slack darl

open the visor
    breath and relax
    breath and relax

If it seems the problem is getting worse
    find a doc that rides and talk to him/her
  13. 4pharksake Matt, this is the last time I'm going to tell you .. the helmet goes on with the visor to the front .. :LOL:
  14. was that why it was so dark :\

I thought the rear vents were eye holes!

Cheers everyone, suppose it could be anxiety.

Never fear, it's never hefty enough to prevent me from riding :D