Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Classic Yamaha

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by weatho, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Hi there. I have a Yamaha 175cc motorbike. I think it is a 1971-1973 model. The Vin number starts with CT1. I was wondering if anyone knows what this would be worth and where would you go to sell it? It is registered till December. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Throw it on eBay

3. Pics or it didn't happen!

Bought one of those in '74, it was a frame and a bunch of parts in a box. Most reliable and fun bike for the money I ever owned. Swapped the completed bike for a 250 Ducati in need of a head rebuild. That was the least fun and most unreliable bike ever!!

4. Vintage enduro "vinduro" racers should jump on it quick for parts or a project, 2 or 3 blokes on http://www.sr500forum.com/forum/ might be enterested. Photos help!

5. It's probably worthless. Give me a yell and I can pick it up so it's not cluttering up your shed if you like.;)

6. Here are some pics

Attached Files:

7. Looks remarkably complete with original gauges, blinkers, carry rack and other stuff that tends to go walkabout over the years. The reed valve block indicates its an early DT175. Yamaha changed their model designation system in '72 or '73 (can't remember). CT1 dates from around '69 and subsequent years were CT2 and CT3. Reed valve models were DT175A, DT175B etc. although engine numbers seem to have stuck with CT prefix. Oddly this wasn't the case with the new reed valve road bikes (RD series) with e/n prefixes going from R5 and DS7 to 351 and 352.
    I think these would have a high nostalgia appeal as thousands of us started our motorcycling careers on these.
    You could try contacting the vintage Japanese motorcycle people.

Sorry, missed the bleeding obvious. The 'Torque Induction' badge on the sidecover was Yamspeak for reed valve so definitely DT175. I think this may hurt market value as the CT1 was stablemate to what was that most historic of traillies, the DT1, the bike that started the mass market trail bike revolution. I'm pretty sure the fork gaiters are not standard equipment but probably a good idea.

8. Thanks for all the replies guys. I will probably try and sell it on ebay.

9. Try and sell it in The Classic, Collector part, rather than the Road bikes part of eBay. Might get a bit more for it.

10. you still wont get much .best bet is a vinduro forum, but even there its just a dr175 not a miaco or something

11. I have a 1973 or 74 (not quite sure) honda XL250 in pretty reasonable condition. Only 5,100km on the clock and I've had it since 1,000km. Original everything, however there is a dent in the tank and the front forks are only very slightly bent. The original owner dropped it while off road and got stuck underneath it for a few hours, since then it sat covered in his shed.