Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Classic Bike Rego (vic)

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Removed_User_6, Apr 22, 2006.

1. How old does a bike have to be to register it as a "classic"?? And where can I find a club to join to allow me to??? I'm sure someone here has the answer!

2. Not sure on the age requirements (would like to know myself) but I think it may differ depending on country of origin ie Japanese bikes are "classics" at a younger age than British bikes. One of the requirements is membership of an approved club, a full list of which can be found here (mostly car clubs obviously but there are some bike clubs listed in there).
  3. Looking at the link and from memory its 25 years or older.
    I'm in the Ducati Club and funnily enough as bikes reach around 25 years, you tend to see a renewed interst in older machines. Atm its the bevels that are attracting attention for this and other reasons.
    Which club you join will depend on the make of bike to some degree, however there is the Classic Motorcycle club which have bikes of virtually all makes.
  4. Asto1, the bike in question has to be at least 25 years old. You have to join a club that has the club permit program in place, I think Williamstown do*. The way it works in our club, which is not Williamstown, is that you have the bike given the once over by a club appointed individual (Vicroads know who these people are) who signs the paperwork off if the bike is in roadworthy condition (note you do not necessarily have to have a RWC). You must be and remain a member of the club, otherwise the registration can be cancelled. If the bike is registered as a club red plate, then you can ride it at club events which must be listed on an itinerary that you must carry with you, or you can ride it for the purposes of testing or taking it to a mechanic for work to be done. ie, this is not an open registration and the police are cracking down on it - so be aware.

*I believe Williamstown now say that you must attend so many rides with them in a year otherwise they won't let you have the red plate rego through them (that is what I have heard anyway).
  5. :grin: Thanks guys!
    The bike I'm looking at it 25 at the end of the year!
  6. I found this site if anyone wants a list (with links) of ALL clubs..
  7. I an pretty sure that in NSW the bike or car has to be 30 years old no matter what make you have before it can be put on classic or vintage rego