Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Clarification - Exiting Eastern Fwy at Hoddle Street Intersection

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Jem, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Hi all,

As some of you would know the VMC has been working with VicRoads to clarify the usage of the last 100 Meters of the Bus Lane on the Eastern Freeway and using the B light at the intersection of the Eastern freeway and Hoddle Street.

The following Information Sheet will be posted on the VMC website http://www.victorianmotorcyclecouncil.org.au/ in due course.

To save you having to wait I have pasted it below for your information.

Regards,
    Jeremy Walton
    VMC Secretary.

Information Sheet: Hoddle Street Bus Lane trial - Exiting the Eastern Freeway

The Hoddle Street bus lane trial being run by VicRoads has created some uncertainty amongst motorcyclists leaving the Eastern Freeway and needing to access the Hoddle Street bus lane. The VMC has discussed this with VicRoads and has ascertained that the following advice will help motorcyclists.

The bus lane at the intersection of the Eastern Freeway and Hoddle Street operates in the same manner as any other bus lane.

Road Rule 158 permits a driver of any vehicle to drive in a bus lane for up to 100 meters if that driver is entering or leaving the road to the left.

Road Rule 280, which talks about the application of the 'B' traffic lights says that the division (rules about B 'lights') apply to the driver of a vehicle other than a public bus in the same way as it applies to the driver of a public bus if the driver is permitted to drive in the bus lane.

So, in short, if a motorcyclist is turning left (i.e. leaving the road) at the intersection of the Eastern Freeway and Hoddle Street and they have elected to do so from the bus lane (which they are permitted to do) the 'B' light does indeed apply to the motorcyclist in the same way as it would apply to a bus driver.

The VMC is confident that this interpretation of the Road Rules as given by VicRoads will improve rider safety along with contributing to a significant reduction in traffic congestion for all road users.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Great outcome, and surprisingly that is a great application of common sense; ie. if you are allowed to be in the bus lane, you are allowed to use the bus signal (anywhere).

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Thanks , next step is to get a trial for the whole bus lane from the Chandler exit to Hoddle Street.

Suspect that is going to take us a bit longer, still something to aim for is a good thing.

See you at the B light.

Cheers Jeremy

4. Good outcome. Well done Jem!

5. Great info thank Jem - persistence pays off. In my cage this morning there were 2 non-Netriders waiting to turn - didn't use the "B" signal, which was on for close to a minute. I usually go under Hoddle to end up in Collingwood along Wellington. I'll try the bus lane - have to come across from the transit lane to do so, but in Hoddle should be easy to swing across to right turn at Johnston.:)

6. Would i be correct in assuming the same thing applies turning left at a B light from johnston st?

7. Hi, not sure the Hoddle Trial did not mention that intersection. The B light there is about going straight ahead as that is what the buses do.

My interpretation ( and I stress only my interpretation ) is that you are not able to other wise all the cars would be permitted to turn as well.

I will ask the question, common sense would indicate yes but that as we know does not always win.

Will let you know the outcome.

Cheers Jeremy

8. You seem to be lumbered with all our "confusions" Jem. A simple map from Vicroads with ticks or crosses on turns would simplify all these issues. If I can help, willing to.

9. Don't forget that VicRoads still have info here. Ominous that they say

VicRoads Buses gives you the references:

10. Hi,

Yes that says you can be in there but not that you can go on the B light to turn left.

The Hoddle/Johnston intersection is not mentioned in the trial info whereas the other intersections are.

Is there something different there? Is there a B light there? Trying to picture it but cannot remember.

Cheers

11. I don't really recall to be honest, but it might be that the green left arrow runs in conjunction with the B light there possibly, if there is one there at all. I don't actually use that turn, just waiting at hoddle st I've seen buses take off first from Johnston so was just curious if it applied there as well.

12. Will have a look on Tue morning , braving the Monash on Monday got a meeting in Oakleigh first thing.

Will let you know or it someone else is using Hoddle street can they let us all know.

Cheers Jeremy

13. Good work on this jem.

There were two hwp bikes on the corner this morning.

I went through the b light and one of them caught up with me along hoddle st, nicest hwp I have ever met btw, which surprised me very much, I was expecting the book to be thrown at me.

I explained to him the situation, so he just took down my details and noted to follow up with me. Hopefully he finds his way to the vmc website, and that they are now aware of the situation and won't be booking other bikes for doing the same thing for the rest of the day.

14. Hi, good to hear he listened to reason. If you have any issues I have the email from Vic Roads which specifically says it is allowed.

I saw one of them further down Hoddle with a Van pulled over, I went through about 7.40.

Cheers

15. Hi, Had a good look this morning I do not think there is a B Light at Johnston Street. I was stopped there and there was a van turning left but no B light just the green light for us all to go.

Cheers

16. Thanks! Hopefully they jump on the VMC website, look at the release and be better educated for the next time i come through there on a B light. =D

They were a good bunch, he mentioned to me they weren't pinging filtering, but was odd that i came flying through a B light when all traffic was stopped.

Wish i got the young officers name so I could put in a compliment to VicPol to applaud common sense in policing to counteract the complaint i put in last week about the powertripping seymour %(&#*&#*& idiot.

17. Don't do that. He might get in trouble for sensible policing and not throwing the book at you and telling you how many people you could have killed. :p

Just another note,

Road Rule 158 permits a driver of any vehicle to drive in a bus lane for up to 100 meters if that driver is entering or leaving the road to the left.

Based on this, when I'm in my cage, why can't I use the Bus Lane on Eastern Freeway at the lights when the Hoddle Street Bus lane is Not in operation at the last 100m and also technically use the B Light too?

18. #18 jmc, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
    I'd say the road continues onto hoddle st, so you wouldn't be 'leaving' the road if you used the bus lane in a car.

You can't go straight at that intersection, 1 lane turns right and 5 lanes go left continuing onto Hoddle St southbound.

19. If that is the case, what has Road Rule 158 got to do with Motorcyclist being allowed to use the Bus lane 100m from Hoddle Street?

"So, in short, if a motorcyclist is turning left (i.e. leaving the road) at the intersection of the Eastern Freeway and Hoddle Street and they have elected to do so from the bus lane (which they are permitted to do) the 'B' light does indeed apply to the motorcyclist in the same way as it would apply to a bus driver. "

I don't understand how this interpretation is different to a car using the last 100m of the Bus Lane when the Bus Lane is not in use and the left most lane on Hoddle Street is a normal lane.

*not having a go at you. What you've done is great for Peak Hour Motorcyclist. Just thought this needs to be pointed out incase a HWP still decides to book a Motorcyclist.

That junction is quite unique, only left turn allowed. Based on your interpretation that the car isn't leaving the road, a Motorcycle isn't either.

20. I think that's the key point, this junction is unique in the left turn bus lane essentially continues on to be the hoddle st bus lane. Logic and logic alone, this interpretation makes sense, the law works on intention, and it is clearly not intended for cars in this unique case.