Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

City to city bike transportation

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Fragbait, Feb 23, 2012.

1. I couldn't find any info on this topic and hope I'm posting in the right area. If not please feel free to point me in the right direction (play nice!) or mods can move as appropriate.

I've noticed certain bikes are more commonly available in a different state than the one I currently live in so I'm weighing up the options of either waiting for the right one to turn up locally, or buying from interstate and have it transported to me.

I'm aware of costs such as registration but before I go too far down the rabbit hole does anyone have some indications of approximate cost for transporting a bike between certain locations? I don't really want to go to the hassle of contacting companies for a quote when I may not even buy a bike.

So, any suggestions on cost to transport an average size and weight bike (think naked 750cc) from say Brisbane to Melbourne, Sydney to Melbourne or Perth to Melbourne?
  2. syd to melb for r1200c a bit over a year ago I think was about $300, a couple of bike movers on here, why not check the forums? bikenut i think is one name.
  3. Brisbane to Townsville (nth qld) was $480 or something
  4. Simple, cost effective and fun solution is do what i did.

Buy a Ticket - $80 JetStar - Melb-Syd
    Fly Up there
    And RIDE it back :) - Fuel - $80 about
  5. Agree with xXx. Go there, ride back. Much more fun and your get a good feeling for the bike straight away!
  6. Ah, ordinarily I would have done exactly what xXx suggested however, the bike I'm looking at isn't exactly new and one I like the look of is located in Brisbane. I've done plenty of long distance riding in the past so the distance is not an issue, but I'm not all that keen on gaining a thorough understanding of the mechanical shortcomings of said bike while still being 1300km from home or 500km from someone that has the right part to get the thing going again.

Additionally the bike is modified slightly to be a little more sporty around town and short distances. The body is a little bit older and not as forgiving any more so an investment in transportation is appealing. Damn you though, cause now I'm fantasising about a decent road trip which I haven't done in ages! :)

Thanks for all the input so far everyone, I greatly appreciate it.