Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cigarette tar experiment

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by cookeetree, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Here's an experiment that was done to see how much tar came from 400 cigarettes. Link to clip

Now, before any smokers or non-smokers start throwing opinions around, let me set the record straight. This thread was not created to start a debate on whether or not you should smoke or if you should smoke around kids. Those topics have already been beaten to death. The clip has an anti-smoking message, but I posted it simply because I thought it was interesting experiment.

2. Well I for one am highly offended at that post cookietree!

Im going outside for a dart. :LOL: :wink:

3. Well, impressed though I am with the very clever automated bong used there, the experiment is rather flawed. If anyone could smoke an entire cigarette in one single mega-draw like the machine it might be accurate, but it's not.

A person will smoke varying amounts of a cigarette, depending how hard, how often and how long they draw, then they'll get varying amounts of tar depending on how long they hold in the breath, etc.

Still, no one is arguing that smoking is bad for you. Pretty pointless exercise though. Hopefully the experiment was a science project or something so at least his hours and expense were not entirely pointless.

:)

4. what a waste.......

5. Ya know, I knew someone would pick up on that.

Okay, so what percentage of a cigarette would you say goes "up in smoke" and what goes down one's lungs? Would you say that 50% was approximate enough? As such, the amount of tar found would be equivalent to 800 cigarettes, instead of 400.

Now, a "pack a day" smoker would go through 10,950 smokes a year (based on a pack of 30). In a year, they would pump almost 17 times as much tar into their system as the experiment showed.

I don't see how you can say it was pointless. Slightly flawed in its execution, but not pointless.

6. Oh hoo, so the "tar" / "poison" is black then, is it?

Blatant racism.

7. Sounds like it did that aptly.

You can argue the toss about how much of that muck you ingest depending on how you draw on your ciggy - but that is not a flaw of the experiment.

8. Try a Marlboro (loads of saltpetre to make the buggers burn quick) at 100 km/h :shock: .

9. +1 :LOL:

10. excellent, now i know what to do if we run out of bitumen!

11. Good point, Rob. Didn't think of it that way.