Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cigarette Socket for Charging Phones and GPS?

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by MissionMan, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Has anyone here added a cigarette socket to their bike for charging phones or GPS's?

Does anyone know where to get the parts in melbourne?

2. you will need-

1 x dual core 10 amp wire (or simply just two lengths of wire)
    1 x cigarette lighter style socket
    1 x fuse (blade or glass) holder and 10 amp fuse

mount the lighter socket somewhere suitable on the bike and run a positive wire to the positive terminal on your battery, including the fused link as close to the battery as is possible.
    run the negative wire either to the negative terminal on the battery or simply to a clean exposed metallic surface of the motor/frame (as this also goes to earth)

all these parts can be sourced from any supercheap auto or similar auto shop.

if you wish to have it so that the socket is only powered with the ignition on, a 12v30A relay will be needed.
    the relay would be connected to any light (these days headlights) that is always on when the ignition is on.
    the solenoid side on the relay can be cut in to the headlight wiring, and the switching side can be cut in to the positive line between your socket and the fused link.
    the relay is only needed if you are going to leave the charger/power supply constantly on, which may be enough to drain your battery on standing.
    i wouldnt bother with the relay, but simply remember to unplg the charger when putting the bike away.
  3. Yup, Super Cheap Autos, $7.50, worked a treat over it tassie.

shame the air bag didn't work as well :p
  4. Exactly what i was going to say.. :grin:
  5. I have one on the Blackbird. Currently cable tied to the clutch hydraulic hose just below the handlebars, it has a rubber cap to keep water and stuff out. Eventually, when I figure out a good way to do it, it'll be flush mounted to the dash.

It's wired directly to the battery. Less chance of earth faults or whatever giving a poor power supply to whatever it's powering. Currently, though (no pun intended) it runs my Etrex GPS. But if I ever need to charge the battery, I'll make up an adapter to connect to a battery charger and charge it that way. Saves having to remove the seat, etc.
  6. Yep fitted one to the VFR under the seat, dont forget to fit an inline fuse in the + lead
  7. Thanks Guys. Fitted it this afternoon.

Worked like a charm. Fortunately its a scooter so easy for me to keep the socket out the way under the seat.