Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Chrome woes

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by redrocket, Jan 4, 2006.

1. I went for a ride on saturday, then put the bike in shed , on sunday morning I went out to give it a wipe over and the chrome pipes looked like they had rust spots!!!
    on closer inspection it appears to be either tar or some kind of resin residue that must have got on the pipes when hot, then cooled and stuck there. I can't budge them with my fingernail, and tried a small bit of car polish on a rag and that didn't do much at all. I dont think rubbing/polishing is gonna remove them and arn't keen to get too aggressive with that. i'm thinking i may need to try some kind of solvent?
    I was gonna start with turps, but before i do does anyone have any similar experience/ advice/product?

2. Bug and Tar remover from anywhere that sells car wash stuff.

3. first thing I would do is try and remove it when the pipe is hot , warm up the bike and go from there . If not as Mouth said a bug and tar remover (sonax or mother make good ones) . I would be very careful as it is easy to lift the chrome.

Good luck.

4. Thanks guys, I will give that a try.
    yep. thats what i'm afraid of.

5. You can also try Eucalyptus oil or Tea Tree oil - both are really good at removing road tar/bugs/etc from chrome and paint.....and it keeps me in a job (well, a little bit does, anyway!)

You can buy the stuff easily and rub it on/off with a cloth. Once the splat and stain is removed, use an auto wax to keep everything gleaming!

Cheers

Neil