Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Chrome paint

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by Mr Messy, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Hey all!
    Got my new bike on friday, and have done day 1 of my pre learners today :).
    Keeping myself occupied until i get the learners, im cleaning up the bike, touch up here and there of a couple marks etc etc.

Brings me to my question:
    One of the cans has a scrape up it which is deep enough to cut through the chrome and is rusting ever so slightly ](*,). If possible id like to sand that off gently with some wet/dry (most likely), and patch it up.

Anyone know of any chrome paint stuff that is actually chrome-like and not just shiny grey :D, and at the same time, useable on hot surfaces like exhausts? :).
    I dont mind if the chrome isnt perfect, just a little touch up would look better then the scrape and the rusty crud.

Cheers all!
    Messy...

2. Your best bet would be clear engine enamel. Id polish it, hit it with some wax and grease remover then spray clear engine enamel in the scratch.

3. :-k
    Thanks Zbike ill check it out :).

edit:
    Didnt get to it today, pre-learners day 2 :p.
    Tomorrow after RTA unless im in hospital because of the major intersection at the end of my street before i get anywhere :p.

4. lol
    no L's crash it good b4 u have to fix it

5. liquid chrome. supercheap.

6. Got there at last today, and the liquid chrome doesnt say anything about being heat resistant so im hesitant to go near it when i need it for a can...
    I bought a tin of the aluminium enamel and the clear enamel... i know its not chrome or a close lookalike but at the least it ought to look better then rust :D.

7. I wouldn't bother painting it, just wire brush & polish.

8. BBQ paint, black looks cool!

9. I had an old Honda CBX250 with a scruffy matt black pipe, and a spray can of flat black combustion heater paint made it look a million dollars ...