Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Chrome or Paint

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Chlowen, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Hey all,

I have recently purchased a Suzuki GS 500, and would like to know what options are available for making the exchaust look a bit better?

I don't have any experience in this department so am unsure if you can paint or chrome as the exhuast will get hot.

Looking to do the full pipe minus the muffler.

2. Flame proof paint is available from most auto stores which is specifically designed for use on exhaust pipes and works fine - if you do it properly. Though I don't think chrome is available only silver/aluminium.

Chrome plating doesn't really work as it will discolour fairly rapidly from the heat (turning brown/blue/purple). Chrome-look ceramic coatings are available which don't discolour but will dramatically shorten the lifespan of the exhaust pipe.
  3. find a carbon fibre
  4. If you want carbon fibre, you can get them off ebay, i think you can search up "carbon fibre sheets" or "carbon fibre twill"

Not sure what your can is made of or looks like but maybe you could get someone to polish it up to a shiney finish?
  5. I so want to see a carbon fibre exhaust manifold :LOL:
    Does nobody actually read people's questions before answering them?
  6. +1

go with the flame proof matt black
    anything else is alot of hassle
  7. Matt Black

Going with the matte black on Saturday.

See how it goes.