Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Christmas toe scraping in Adelaide

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by I am the Stig..., Dec 26, 2007.

1. Hi all - and a merry christmas!

Been off the bike for about 3 weeks due to illness (mystery headaches...hmmm) and went out for a ride in the Adelaide hills today covering one of my favourite rides, up to Cherryville, across to Norton Summit and then back down the old Norton Summit road.

Not too many bikers out there today (counted five in all - including a nice sounding red Trumpy, mental note - upgrade to that one when the P's expire next year!), but perfect this morning with sunny skies and crisp air.

Best of all though, been trying to get my cornering to improve and have been riding the little Honda Repsol NSR 150 like it was Rossi's old 500... (well, I like to think so!). It's great fun taking sweeping corners with 11,000rpm on the dial!! Not taking any undue risks with speed or anything, but following what I'd call a more "racing line", hanging off the bike and putting the knee down, going into the corner later while accelarating out when I can see through the corner. I haven't done any formal training (not too much seems to be offered in Adelaide) and my mate rides a hyo-cruiser which can't keep up in the twisties, so not really sure how I'm doing... but today, riding through some of my favourite 30-40kmh signed corners, I "succeeded" in getting a double toe scrape as I went through a double s-bend/chicane, whilst remaining within my comfort zone speed/road position/control-wise. Not sure if that means I'm doing something right or wrong, but I know I must've gotten the bike over a fair bit (the chicken strips getting smaller too). Was surprised to feel/hear the scrape, but held my nerve/concentration and the same happened in the next corner. :grin:

Not sure if that's a good or bad sign (toe scrapers are on the boot for a reason other than making them look good after all) - or what the best way for a solo sportsbike rider is to monitor his/her progression with cornering. :?: Also, if I'm scraping my toe, how far will my knee be off the floor/how far am I off "getting a knee down"? :?: One more - am I pushing my bike anywhere near it's limits? I don't really want to come off and test my leathers/helmet...

Either way - I've come home with a big smile on my face and can't wait to get out again tomorrow for another run! This is most definately why I bought my bike!! :grin:
  2. Yep it was magic this morning.
    Hopped on at about 10:30 and headed into the city via Mt Pleasant, Birdwood and the back road to Kersbrook. Most of the traffic was headed out of town towards the river so that was pretty groovy.
    Visited mum down in the burbs for a coffee and cake and then headed home via Kersbrook and Williamstown with a brief detour over the hill to Sanderston (shit that's a good road BTW).
    Sitting at home now 200+km later with a nice cold glass of Kiwi Sauv Blanc and life is good.
    Rock on!
  3. we went for a putt through williamstown & birdwood etc yesterday too - twas a great ride!
  4. Pretty sure there was a similar thread on here just recently. Your toes shouldn't really touch the ground, you need to get them further up on the pegs. My pegs have been ground down quite a bit, but my toes never touch the ground.

I'm not familiar with the NSR though, so maybe it has really short pegs?
  5. Are you the guy who rides up the Parade every morning?

6. this would depend on how far your feet 'splay' out. If ,when you sit on the bike, your feet naturally point a long way out (as opposed to parallel to the bikes direction) they will make contact with the ground very early on.
    You can generally tell by the position of the scraping on your boot. If your boot was locked in tight to the bike, the scrape will be located further out to the side of the boot.
  7. If you still have strips and your scrapping toes, that indicates to me your feet are positioned a touch wrong.

You should be on the ball of your foot on your inside foot. If your feet are splayed you run the risk of catching the toe on gutters or other road protrusions as you corner. That can whip your foot backwards in an instant. Wayne Gardner broke his leg that way, catching toes on a ripple strip I think it was.

The only time I have my feet forward while cornering is trail braking usually. I sort of roll the ankle sideways so I can present a narrower point which isn't much wider than the brake lever. It sounds awkward, but with your knee out it's almost natural.
  8. Your feet should NOT be touching down. get your feet up out of the way...ride through corners on the balls of your feet, or toes up on the pegs.
  9. Metalpedal - No, not every morning, but you'll catch me riding up that way on the weekend on the way up to Penfold's before deciding on Norton summit, Cherryville or Gorge Road usually... :grin: I've replicated Rossi's 500NSR/early moto GP days with the repsol leathers - and after reading his autobiography this week, realise he didn't exactly see eye to eye with them! :LOL:

Thanks for the pointers all - I thought it wasn't the best thing to happen, so my last couple of rides I've taken more care to "put my feet up". Must admit that they may have been a bit low on the pegs as I like to cover my clutch and rear brake just in case I need to correct something at the last moment before going into a corner. Possibly not a good habit to have learnt... :oops: Chicken strips are about 1cm wide, so quite a way to go.

In the meantime, I'm keeping my eye open for an upright style course in Adelaide so I can learn some proper cornering! Until then, it's definitely toes up all the way!
  10. Poser much? :LOL:

j/k dude. I scraped my boot through a corner once, and have kept my feet higher up ever since. Better to keep them out of the way.