Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Chopper ride review

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by vic, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Breathtaking is the only word to describe my flight yesterday.

Hangar 81, is an old-school hangar situated at Essendon Airport.
    When I say "old", the old ends the minute you walk through the door.

The decor is modern and spacious. The gas-log fire is nice and warm, the colours of the lounge are nice and calming, foxtel is on in the corner and the Saeco coffee machine!!!!!! not only does it brew fresh coffee for you, it includes a stirring stick for good measure.
    Don't get me started on the fridge that is packed with soft drink and champagne.

Once the briefing is complete, we head "airside" where we are placed into a waiting and running chopper.
    Seatbelts on, headsets on, cameras on, smiles at their widest and we are set to go.

Guy chats up the little bloke in the control tower and we get the clearance to take off.

We track from Essendon airport to Station Pier and we are there in literally minutes. We drop down toward the beach and enjoy the clear waters of Port Phillip Bay. We then shoot up Fitzroy street and over Albert Park and the Grand Prix track.
    We go over the MCG, Olympic park, Docklands, Eureka tower, Government house (good think we aren't in the USA, they may have shot us down), exhibition building, Flemington etc etc....
    The landmarks and many and varied, far too many to list.

The ride I did was 15 minutes but there is a lot to take in in those 15 minutes. Sure it could go on for hours.....and it can if you have the budget for it.

The ride itself was very smooth, much smoother than what you experience in a small plane, I've done both and the chopper wins, hands down.

It is an experience that you will love. Make sure your camera is charged and that you have a big enough card. The photo opportunities are endless.

I shot a number of photos but most are average as I only had a point and shoot camera without a polarizer therefore the reflections in some of the shots ruin them but it gives you an idea as to what the view is like from ~1000ft.
    Here are some of the photos I took;

2. chooper, vic??? :LOL:
  3. Sounds like a great experience. Something I'd love to do, for sure.

I'd love to see your pics, Vic, but your link to your gallery doesn't seem to work.

4. Yeah, it's the Greek one. :p
  5. Stupid dumb arse redirect keeps breaking.

Link updated

Try the redirect again, see if that now works.

6. pics dont work but dosnt this post bring back memories for me, went on a chopper ride from castle hill in sydney many years ago, used to be located in the industrial area, went up 2000ft, was great, had a ball, the day after i was watching news on tv and seen the same chopper i was in the day before crashed :shock: :shock: :shock:

never going up on 1 again
  7. Chopper rides are fuuuuuun :grin:

First time was a 45 min flight across Sydney. I had a fear of flying before that. The ride was so smooth that I had no fear of flying anymore.
    Second time was a ride at the Whitsundays and got to fly over Heart Reef, saw sharks and big stingrays.
    Third time was when I took my son to Sea World for his birthday and took him up for a ride - he loved it so much I had to buy the DVD of the flight :LOL:

Highly recommend going up at least once :)
  8. until u watch it crash :grin:
  9. Hey Vic, is this the same ride that Lenna went on? Sounds fantastic, I shall appreciate it at a distance :LOL:.
  10. similar experience, went hot air balooning in alice springs, next day reading the paper I saw two baloons collided in alice springs 13 killed !
  11. someone was looking after us :)

just 1 of those things, right/wrong place, right/wrong time
  12. I've done a bit of parachuting therefore small planes are ok, don't like big planes (bloody wings bend), Went for a tourist chopper ride at Dreamworld...NEVER EVER AGAIN.. as a spanner spinner I tend to feel any out of balance , hear any noise etc... I'm sure that the top fan was in need of a wheel balance, and as a fan it surely wasn't keeping me cool... Don't care how big the emergency or whatever, I aint getting one of those things again.
  13. and that 1 also crashed :shock:
  14. I've been in and out of those things for the last two decades. I'm still very wary of them as they have the same glide profile a house brick.
  15. I honestly thought this was going to be about a motorcycle chopper and you had crossed over to the other side.
  16. i've been in this one . . . :eek:

17. thats 1 we all want to stay out of :shock:
  18. So has my brother - or something similar anyway. He had an off at Pacific Park when he took his son riding.

Definitely the one to stay out of, but your glad it is there if you need it.
  19. On my honeymoon in January at Nelson Bay, we went up in a little robinson R44 on a very windy day indeed and the chopper, well let's say it moved around a bit. It slipped and jumped from air pocket to air pocket so it was interesting to say the least, then I asked the pilot next to me, who I must say was doing a great job of controlling the chopper, how long he had been flying. His reply made me grip the seat a bit tighter - 9 months in total!
  20. I refuse to get into a Robinson R22/44 unless its really requried ! For instance, being rescued from sharks, bushfire or escaping from zombie island !! :eek:

They remind me of a modern day Bell 47 . . . the MASH helicopter !