Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Choosing a windscreen for naked bike

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by sheard, Oct 24, 2013.

1. #1 sheard, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
    Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum and to riding (6 months) but have found it very helpful to read everyone's experience on here.

One thing I've struggled to find is any general advice on choosing an aftermarket windscreen.

I've got a VTR250 2007 and am just starting to go on longer weekend rides. I find anything above 60kmh and the chest impact is distracting so I'm looking at getting a small screen to take the edge off [1].

There are so many styles (with/without lip, high/low, racing style, double bubble, etc) that it's tricky to know which way to go.

I'd love to hear any general thoughts on how to buy the best one for my riding style and position without having to waste $200 on the wrong one first. Or if you've got any good links - Google hasn't thrown anything much up.

Cheers in advance

[1] I've so far considered the F16 and F18 from National Cycles (MCAS) and there's also a nice one from Puig called the Vision which I've seen mounted on a few VTR250s online. Wondering if these are the right height / shape to be going for.

2. I got an NB-01 from eagle screens about 3 years ago and it helped a lot with buffeting and helmet noise on my VTR250. If you're any taller than me though you'd probably want something a bit taller (I'm 5'10").

3. The height and design of the screen you choose will depend greatly on 2 things, your height and where you want the wind to hit you.

4. Ive been thinking about getting one too.
    Have been scouring the web like yourself but havent fronted up with any cash yet

Recently figured i could probably make one cheaper - have access to router cutter and heat guns at work. So all I need to do is figure out a template.

If you can wait a few weeks til I make one and it turns out alright I can cut another no prob

5. Thanks for that, good to hear of specific models that have worked on the VTR250. I'm an even 6' so not much taller. I'm most interested in getting the wind off my chest but realise it's likely to end up on my lid unless I get a massive cruiser style one.

6. Good point, and part of the challenge is that until you've ridden with a certain screen you won't know. I'm 6' and mainly want to get the wind off my body when at freeway speeds.

7. Thanks for that mate. Be interested to hear how that goes, even if I end up buying one in the meantime.

8. One bloke I know made 'test screens' from very stiff cardboard. Basically each one lasted just long enough to work out roughly what sort of height he wanted. He then bought one.

Depending on brand and style you can get 'adjustable' screens. But I think they're mainly for cruisers.

Years ago when I had a GR650 I had two screens. A short narrow one for lets say everyday use and a tall wider one for 'touring'.

9. I've done a little more research now

National Cycles F16 - I took a look at the Touring version of this screen and ruled it out because it was too high for an everyday screen. I also wasn't sold on the fitments being universal as I don't want to fiddle around too much making something fit. I've ruled out the Sports version for the same reason.

Puig Vision fairing + screen - this was my favourite for looks but the top of the screen is domed like you'd see on a sports bike. I'm not convinced that this is what I need for the VTR's more upright position so I'm going to skip this one for now.

Honda official fly screen - it's not the best looking colour (I've an all-black bike) but the fact it's designed to fit and also flatter at the top plus has a slight lip makes me think the wind flow should be better on this bike than the Puig. Only downside is that it the most expensive, but I'm checking whether I can order it from overseas to potentially bring the cost down.

What I've learned about choosing a screen:
    - there's surprisingly little information out there. Even the manufacturers don't really explain the windflow and reason for different shapes.
    - getting a screen designed for your bike seems like the ideal option. Puig have a selector for make and model, which would give me confidence it was going to fit.
    - it really does sound like trial and error is the only way which is a shame as there's no way of trying a screen before buying (except for the cardboard trick in this thread).

Hope this helps with some future searches.

10. I had a fly screen on my old ER6 but don't on the street triple and don't miss it. Not sure why you are getting buffeting at 60k. I don't notice it until around 130 (on a private rd of course). The wind can take the pressure of your arms so its not all bad. Might be worth playing with your posture a bit and leaning forward a bit more. If you get the wrong screen it can direct the wind into your helmet and it gets noisy. Seen the vario screens?

mra_vt_morph.

11. Hi, I had a Hornet900 which I sold some months ago, check the ad with pics in it, this screen was great, bolted to the handle bars, easy to fit, move etc, lent to a young lady who rode her cb250 from melb to sydney, yes she lived, and said the screen was fantastic in keeping the wind off reducing stress etc. might help you decide, I bought it second hand thru ebay i think

https://netrider.net.au/threads/cheap-red-hornet900-05-model-need-3500.156203/

12. Hi, I had a Hornet900 which I sold some months ago, check the ad with pics in it, this screen was great, bolted to the handle bars, easy to fit, move etc, lent to a young lady who rode her cb250 from melb to sydney, yes she lived, and said the screen was fantastic in keeping the wind off reducing stress etc. might help you decide, I bought it second hand thru ebay i think

https://netrider.net.au/threads/cheap-red-hornet900-05-model-need-3500.156203/