Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

choosing a second hand bike

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by matress, Jun 22, 2008.

1. hey guys,

I'm in the middle of trying to sell my Sachs Madass 125 which I bought brand new almost 2 months ago.

I bought it brand new so that I didn't have to worry about its previous history, etc. but now I'm after a bigger bike but can't afford a brand newy.

I've been searching on bikesales for a suitable replacement, but I'm a bit unsure about which path to take.

Do I buy a bike that is around 2 years old with 40,000km's on it?
    ...Or do I buy one that is 9-10 years old with, 15-20,000km's?

Mat :)
  2. The no. of km's doesnt really give you a solid idea of mechanical condition.
    Its an indicator but thats it.

Youll need to see the bikes and test ride to get a real feel for mechanical condition.

A bike with 10,000 km on it may have spent its whole life being flogged to death, whilst a bike with 40,000 km may have been babied around and had its oil changed every 3000km.

Go have a look at both and get the one with the best history etc etc.

The only issue with a low km older bike is that things like rubber hoses do harden and wear out with time rather than use.
    May also have to clean carbs and other fuel related parts due to condensation and water build-up, but that also depends on a whole lot of external stuff.

In short, inspect both and make an informed decision based on what you see and feel.
  3. That all makes sense... the other factor I suppose is resale. A bike with a gazillion km on the clock isn't that appealing.

Would it be considered a half sensible option by going for a newer bike, with maybe not as much of a good reputation, with less km's on the clock?
  4. ffs dude.

stop fishing . :roll:

if you want the hyosung then buy the blooming thing! you've been told they're shit yet you keep asking.

just make sure you buy a bicycle so you've got transport for the times the pos is being repaired :?
  5. I notice on the Hyoflung forums you bought a GT250. How many k's on it?

Good Luck...

6. God only knows why OP hasent mentioned what he ended up
    with in ere [​IMG]

7. How much was the MadAss if you dont mind me asking, seen a few people in my area in gangs on these things, look pretty cool.