Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Choke dodgies

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by mav, Jul 25, 2012.

1. ive discovered that the choke cable / length on the Volusia i just bought has a rather short give.

holding the knob, can pull it out about 1cm from its closed position...and thats it!

it should go further right?

it doesnt make much of a difference when cold-starting or when warmed up at idle, cant tell of any rpm difference at all.

is it likely i have to replace the bastard? and how tricky is that likely to be?
  2. First step is to follow the cable to the other end and see if what it's attached to moves.

Most likely possibilities are either that the cable has been kinked or caught on something preventing it from moving (which you should be able to identify by following the cable), or that the sliding part on the carb which operates the choke is sticking (in which case a liberal coating of lubrication should help with pulling the knob out ;)).
  3. Ummm....
  4. What, you're suggesting he should persist in trying to pull out a sticky knob instead? :-s
  5. Me? Hell no! I ain't suggest'n nothin'