Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

choke/cold start problems - NEW GPX250

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by helent, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Hi
    I have mentioned this before (hijacked somebody else's topic, thought I would start my own this time), but things still do not appear to be right and wanted some advice.

Bought a brand new GPX250 a few weeks back, and since I have had it, starting it from cold has been a problem. I have the choke up full, but unless I keep the throttle up, the revs just die out and the bike conks out. I have to keep the throttle up a little for at least a couple of minutes, before I let the choke do its thing on its own. Occasionally, if I give it a really good revving, then the revs will stay up for a little while, but usually they die away again, and the bike still conks out.

I presume that this isn't a normal GPX thing and that the choke is supposed to work on its own without all that additional throttle stuff? In fact, I borrowed a loan one when mine was being looked at, and this started up really pretty sweetly for a old bike.

It has been back to the shop twice - the first time they couldn't find anything wrong with and sent it back to us without doing anything (I think they left it in the shop rather than the workshop, so it probably stayed nice and warm). Found it still had a problem, so back it went. This time the guy said he also had a problem starting it up, so they cleaned out the carbs and played with the fuel screw (I think) but still couldn't really find an explanation for it. Said that was all he could really do.

But it is still happening :( What do I do now? Any thoughts?