Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Choke and Throttle Issues

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by MAP74, May 26, 2009.

1. Hey all.

Maybe someone out there can give me a little advice.

The choke on my VTR250 stalls the bike when I shut it off, even when the engine has warmed up.

I have adjusted the throttle stop screw thinking this may solve the low idle speed but all I seem to get is too high or too low revs when I close the choke. To get a reasonable idle speed the choke has to run about a quarter on.

I might have to take it to the shop for a viewed opinion but I would like a little advice beforehand to know if it could be something else.

Cheers
    Mark

2. Could be a blocked pilot jet?

3. been playing with the air/fuel ratio knob?

whats your definition of too high and too low & normal idle rpms

give us a tad more info, year, kms, always happened/recent? did you buy the bike like that etc

4. Its the 2007 model with 2009 compliance plates. I've had it for about a month.

It's a second hand import from Japan, about 20,000 on the clock.

It was like this from the start.

As far as rpms, I would only be guessing as it doesn't have a taco, but when I close the choke it stalls.

I rang the place where I purchased it from and they are going to check it out on the weekend.

5. Please don't say you bought it from Sumoto! A VTR without a tacho (i.e. speedo and lights only on the dash) is 2003 (I think) or older. It definitely is not 2007.

I think you're doing the right thing with taking it back to the shop first (unless the shop is Sumoto in which case go to a Honda dealer).

6. Problem solved

It was just a simple case of idle adjustment.

7. I love a happy ending

8. Happy ends rule