Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Choke - always needed?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Takis, Aug 12, 2007.

1. My cars have had automatic chokes so far so I'm clueless here. I keep my bike garaged, so I can start it first time without the choke. Is this a good thing? Should I be putting in the choke even though it doesn't appear to need it?

Does it make any difference? :grin:

2. If you live in Kanbruh and you can do that, something is really wrong with your carbs. Does it use a lot of fuel? Sluggish at lower rpms?

Regards, Andrew.
  3. Or an even easier one to answer, does your exhaust smell like unburnt fuel?

Its not necessarily bad, if your garage is kept nice and warm. Starting without the choke won't hurt your bike, all it does it put a bit more fuel in the cylinders to make it easier to start, but because its winter and you can start without the choke, it might be an underlying bad tune.
  4. If it's a carbed bike chances are it's running too rich on the idle screws.

don't run the chokes if you don't need too as this may foul plugs and coke up the cylinders.

try putting your idle screws in 1/4 turn and see how it's starts and rides.
  5. I realised he has another post about fuel issues, so the two problems are related.
    Carb rebuild time for him.

Regards, Andrew.
  6. If it starts and idles without the choke I agree with the card peeps. However my bike will start without choke but I need the "play" with the throttle for 10 seconds or so before it settles onto a lower than normal non stall idle. After a couple of blips later all's normal.
    So the question is does it idle of its own accord or not?
  7. Yeah it starts fine and idles about the 2K mark. About once a day it'll push itself up to about 3 or 4 for some reason. Once I take off (i.e. rev it up) and then stop again, it'll usually return to normal idle.

How do I do that? I think though that Typhoon's right, I'll prob leave the idle screws alone until I've sorted out the running rich problem.

Not at all, I think...actually, I have noticed it once or twice. That was about a week ago - but maybe I'm riding a little faster now. :grin:
  8. :grin:

Adjusting the idle screws is how you fix the richness problem you are having.

Yeah Typhoon's right. Both of your problems are carbie problems. Get them off and do a clean and look for any obvious problems.

Then do a balance and set your idle mixture properly.
  9. My bike is the same, in the morning or anytime for that matter it doesnt rev high enough so i need choke. Adjusting the idle speed works most of the time.