Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

choice of Auto or manual for popular motorbikes

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Tomcatalex, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Why in the car world do we have the option of manual and auto and in the bike world they say manual bike, auto scooter?

Im sure alot of people would be in the market for an auto version of popular bikes

The bike snobs of the 70's said no to the idea, and Suzuki gs450a and hondamatic cbs were made redundant. husky made the 430 and mc250mps and then nothing till the gilera dna half bike/scooter.

Now comes the chinese V3, the Honda Dn1 and the aprilia Mana.
    But I want to see auto options for most popular brands, what do you guys think?

2. The size/weight of the unit required to handle the power applied would be the main drawback I would think. All of the automatic applications are for quite low powered bikes/scooters, or for heavy scooters.

It's not like you can fit a >100kg car-type torque converter system to a motorbike and end up with a light motorbike.

Motorbikes are all about low size and weight, and with the quite high power outputs of the most popular bike models, a small and light automatic system isn't doable. Perhaps the closest applicable thing would be the opposed conical model, but I believe that has patent restrictions on it inhibiting its uptake, and I'm unsure of how much power it can deal with before the belts start to slip.

What exactly is wrong with the geared approach anyway? With power-shifters and slipper-clutches becoming more common, much of what was already really easy work is being dumbed right down even further for the masses.

3. Just a headache in stop start city riding, sick of holding clutch at lights too

4. It's probably due to the linearity of manual drive. Would you want the gearbox to suddenly kick down a gear or two when you've leant over and are powering out?

5. Traditional car type autos are extremly heavy for a given power output and their construction in quite complex.

Also the traditional lag/kick of an auto would be highly undesirable in a bike.

some bikes are coming out with CVT type autos, which has the potential to change the market.

6. the scoots are auto and go around curves ok, maybe cvt is the only way or semi auto without clutch like the ct110

7. Good point, but Scooters generally don't have as much power as a modern sports bike, and don't tend to get cranked over very far either.

I think it's a combination of the above points which make automatic motorbikes generally undesirable.

8. Get the FJR1300AS. No clutch. Sort of a tiptronic gear changing thingy. (excuse the techo talk) Problem solved!! :grin:

9.  Top
  10. sound great, is that what your riding, is it heavy?

11. then either a) buy a scooter or b) don't commute on your bike.

I commute to & from work every day and I don't fing it a headache at all.

try 'neutral' at lights rather than holding in the clutch :roll:

12. I’m more of a weekend warrior

13. Then why are you complaining? :p

But seriously.. Bikes have a huge % of riders who just ride for pleasure or as a sport/hobby, vs. cars whereby most % just have it as a method to get from A to B. Because a huge percent/most riders are riding for the fun/performance/etc, you want to have more control over the bike.. as a performance tool. Eg. How many automatic race cars are there? (actual race cars, not just street cars that have an auto version).

14. Meh, I'm one of these weirdos that prefers their cars to be manuals. In stop-start traffic I do appreciate what an auto does, but for everything else, manual please.

15. +1 I always thought autos were for girly girls or mums that can't use a stick.

16. +1. I'm a firm believer that automatic cars promote laziness and reduce traffic awareness. I flat out refuse to own an automatic car.

17. IIRC the ct110 is a manual with an automatic clutch.

Scooters use a cvt auto, which is fine for relatively low power, even with bigger scooters. AFAIK CVT still hasnt proved itself in high powered appilcations, the only one I can think of is the nissan murano, which has had problems with failure, and still doesn't handle an excessive amount of torque for the gearbox size.

If a rider is riding in stop start traffic, IMO they are better off getting a scooter as well, its cheaper on fuel, its auto, and you can carry more stuff. Considering in stop start traffic they aren't using the bike to any potential whatsoever. Of if a motorcycle is a must, get something with a big lumpy engine so you don't have to change as much.

PS, the Jaguar XKR comes only in a tiptronic auto, and that is the ONLY thing stopping me from saving my pennies to buy it (all $240,000 worth of em).

18. Yeah only girls drive autos and girls can't ride bikes anyway.

So an auto bike would only be for the stamp licker market.

19. There are a lot more bikes coming out with CVT. Not just scooters either, i cant remember where i read it, but there is a v twin bike coming out with cvt, dont know manufacturer. Im guessing these bikes are aimed at the commuters who want a bit more power and style, but i doubt "motorcyclist" would by em, maybe as a chaep second bike.

20. Why would you want to sacrifice control?

An auto would suck. Changing up and down when you don't want it to, not to mention being heavier and slower.

If you want an auto get a scooter.