Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Chocolate Meltdown :-(

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Black Betty, Jan 22, 2006.

1. For some unknown reason - I decided to 'save' some especially nice Dark, Belgium Chocolate that had been sent to me from NZ as a Xmas pressie.
    Its been hiding inside my wardrobe waiting for that 'special occasion' when I would decide to devour it.
    & you probably guessed it ....
    Inside the house may not have been 41 degrees - but the ambient temp was enough to turn my beloved choc to liquid :cry:
    What a waste ......
    Normally - wouldn't put chocolate in the fridge - but guess there's exceptions to the rules & I should have know better/acted sooner.
    Oh well :(

2. It always tastes better when it has been melted and cooled down so it has the whiteness :)
  3. All is not lost. I found something similar and I used a spoon to scoop it up.
    Smooth. mmmmmm. :grin: :grin: :grin:
  4. mmmm - smooth runny Belgian Chocolate :D

...or you could out with the marble slab and temper it again ;)
  5. A chocolate thread, no eswen?
  6. I came back from holidays not too long ago, and found out that all my chocolate melts in the pantry had already melted :/
  7. I was busy eating chocolate :p

donna, just chuck it in the fridge! Itll be fine ;)
    else use it as choc sauce.
    I know its dissapointing but its chocolat eyou cant throw it out!!!!
  8. Yeh, reset chocolate is really nice - I don't understand the laws of chocolurgy, but I notice that the compound consistency changes after a reset. The texture is less compact, more brittle, more flaky. If you're into that sort of thing, and I am, then there's not reason to panic. Working with liquid centres however, that's a different game. You've got the added complication of working with differing textures in the one sweet meat, and the fact that the centre will not return to any gross texture for it was runny in the first place. Refridgerated resetting is probably the way to go for a start. Off course you could cut your losses and just lick the packet as it is.
  9. If you dislike the chrystalline (note the "h"; I am becoming new age)nature of reset chocolate, perhaps you could use it as body paint. :p
  10. who said I threw it out :shock:

they were equistive individual chocs - so no - the melted option wasn't the same .....
  11. Reminds me of when I was younger. My sister used to work in a Belgian chocolate shop in Sydney, they were very exacting about their chocolates, and any chocolate that had been in the display cabinets for more than 18 hours would be thrown away.
    needless to say, we always had plenty of Belgian chocolate lying around, I kind of got tired of it's exquisite creamy texture and the way it melted in your mouth.......sure I did!
    I just had a box of Lindor chocolates I refrigerated due to melting, and they were fantastic! Also, Toblerone tastes better when refrigerated too.

Regards, Andrew.
  12. Ok first things first, is you try to reset it then it will have what is called fat bloom(when the fat seperates from the chocolate) and if you like chocolate you will soon decide that it will taste like s**t.
    If it is good quality chocolate then it will be coveture(real chocolate not that cabury crap) which means you can retemper it and get it back to its original state.
    To temper chocolate it must be warmed to 47C cooled down to 27C then warmed up to 32C to be used(chocolate moulds etc).
    Dont try this with compound chocolate just wasting your time.
    good luck and happy tempering

By the way this is my job going to work to teach people how to make chocolates :p
  13. Quite true ;)

Couverture chocolate blooms if it's melted and has been reset without tempering this is caused by the Cocoa butter crystals losing their suspension in the chocolate mass. The process of tempering as mentioned above "seeds" the Cocoa butter crystals correctly so that they set uniformly in a suspension giving a nice sheen and appropriate texture.

Compound chocolate has the Cocoa butter removed (in whole or partly) and is replaced with hydrolised vegetable fats.

They do this because the vegetable fats are cheaper, and also can be melted and reset without the need for tempering.

The problem with the vegetable fats apart from their poor flavour in comparison to cocoa butter is that they will often leave a film of fat on the roof of your mouth after eating cheap crappy chocolate giving a nasty mouth feel.

I'm an ex Pastry Chef...I used to temper chocolate often :) (well, technically I guess I'm still a pastry chef, I just don't work in that line anymore).