Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Chk chk boom

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by solidsk8, May 10, 2010.

1. I have a ninja 250r with about 20000ks on it.

When I'm going down through gears 3 and 2 coming to stop I can hear a chk or a tk sort of sound every half a second or so for a couple of moments.

It's pretty quiet and I can only just hear it over the engine noise.

I was thinking it's just some light rubbin of the machine somewhere.. I can't see where but does that sound like something I should get mechanic to have a look at now or just wait till the next service in 4000ks?

Thanks for any advice!

2. Often these kind of noises are chain which you hear as you are slowing so that's where I would start. Spin the back wheel over with engine stopped and in neutral and see if you are getting any binding of the chain as it turns.

3. +1

I had a CBR250 with a chain that made a noise that might be described that way, it went away when you serviced the chain but it was close to needing replacement.

4. Thanks for the replies guys. I think you're probably right.

I'm gonna adjust the chain tension as it's looking a bit loose and see how that goes.

5. Also do a full clean and lube of the chain. If it is binding it will show up as you clean it.

6. +1 to Falcon Lord, Good practice to do a clean and oil anyway.

7. Thanks for all the good advice!

I cleaned the chain and set the chain tension as per the manual and that seems to have solved the problem.

On the way to work this morning I noticed when I let go of the handle bars they shake. Could this be because of the wheel alignment?

I was sure I got it spot as per the notches on the swingarm but I might go back over it with a fine tooth comb after work. Any tips on setting it?

8. One of the worst things about the ZZR/GPX motors are the cam chains. Every 20k needs to be replaced... That's my guess if the noise is from the engine.... If you don't replace it, your bike will be going to Chk chk boom heaven....