Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Chinese Imports - Warning from Yamaha

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by pvda, May 23, 2007.

1. Found this on the Yamaha web site

DATE: 22-May-2007

Increasing numbers of Chinese made motorcycles and ATVs are being sold in Australia. Which is fine up to a point, YMA welcomes the competition. However, customers need to be advised that some importers are less scrupulous than others.

In addition, the products on offer may not prove reliable. And in some cases they may not work at all.

Once the unit is sold, many importers appear keen to ignore their customers, especially when it comes to service, parts supply and warranty. Media outlets should also be aware that some importers are grossly mistreating their customers, and to accept advertising from them represents an injustice to readers.

Take the case of the Three Amigos in South Australia. This company imports Chinese made motorcycles that are offered for sale with bizarre – not to mention illegal – disclaimers. According to the SA Government’s media release, the small print on products imported by the Three Amigos reads: ‘I bought this as a non working product. It is faulty and incomplete. I will perform or pay for all labour, skills, diagnostics and items necessary to use this product.’

Ask yourself this question: would you buy a product labelled like this? And would you offer advertising space to a company who labelled its products with such disclaimers?

Yamaha Motor Australia’s national dealer network has the ability to service Yamaha’s entire product range and supply parts for any model without delay. All Yamaha motorcycles and ATVs are sold with a meaningful warranty that is backed up when necessary. As an additional customer benefit, all YMA products are protected against theft using the DataDot DNA system.

Yes, Chinese made products are cheap. But you get what you pay for. And if you think the products are shonky, take note of this public warning issued by the South Australian government regarding the Three Amigos importers:

Link to Consumer affairs pdf here

The Yamaha item shows a PW50 replica as an example of what they sell.
  2. That is so hypocritical (and typical) for a Jap company.

The "cheap' imports was EXACTLY the Japanese marketing strategy right up to at least the mid 70's

If we had the same consumer afairs laws back then as we have now most of the 'quality' Jap companies would never have got off the ground.
  3. sounds very much like a statement from a company that is pretty worried about losing sales.
  4. I'm still happy with my very hard working little Chinese quad, and it cost around 20% of an equivalent Yamaha. I smell the odor of fear in that press release. Yes there are very bad Chinese bikes, and yes there are rip-off dealers, but if you know what your buying, and get it from a decent seller, they are unbeatable value. Not up to Jap quality, but plenty good enough for most purposes.

5. I agree, there are some really crappy Chinese bikes on the market but then there are some really good ones. Lumping all Chinese bikes together is wrong because some brands are much better than others.
  6. Yeah! That kind of gross generalisation is like saying "All Yamaha's are good bikes"

7. Might be another angle to this:

Yamaha can't sell bikes in China so not too surprising that they'd also be worried about the Chinese encroaching on their export markets like Australia. Actually kinda funny that they'd criticise Chinese build quality given they themselves have a plant in China.

Edit: Oh and obviously Yamaha Australia doesn't keep in touch with head office - given this statement from their own media release:
  8. That's rubbish, woodsy, and a gross distortion of the products and marketing of the Japanese cars and bikes in Australia. From DAY ONE they were as good as what was on offer, and didn't take long to be far better in most cases. Ask me how I know. Because I was a 15 year-old car and bike nut in 1964 and saw first-hand what was happening. Compare the Honda S-600 with the Austin Healey Sprite (as many magazines did at the time). It was the Japanese first, and the tired 40-year-old engined pushrod pommie clunker a distant last....

That said, it is unprecedented in my experience for a major Japanese company even to acknowledge the existence of its competition, much less to disparage them in such scathing terms, and in public....
  9. Hmm, seems that some here don't have a problem with Chinese rip-offs of quality products, sold through unscrupulous dealers as if it were as good as, if not identical, to the quality product.

This seems to be what Yamaha is targetting. Cheap Chinese knock-off imitations of Yamaha bikes.

To me, it's just brand-recognition protection. A bit like when you go to buy a good set of golf clubs, go to some sports store, get led to believe that you're buying the real deal, and instead walk away with a poor imitation copy.

Yeah, lots of stuff gets made in China, but the better companies enforce very strict quality controls on what comes out. The unscrupulous simply don't give a crap.

I don't have a problem with them issuing a comsumer awareness statement. It's your choice as to whether or not you listen to it.
  10. I think you'll find that the s600 although nicely engineered, had nothing like the sucess of the sprite.
    The sprite had only been in production for 6 years when the s600 started production and was still winning races well into the seventies unlike the s600 which had ceased production in 1966.
  11. Okay - the Honda was smaller yet cost virtually the same and suffered terribly from roller bearing and differential failure, burned out distributors, oil leaks and numerous other mechanical failures - so much so that Honda ended up replacing the engine every S600 sold in this country. Sure the Austin had it's problems but it actually reliable and trouble-free compared to the Honda.

12. Of course you were there at the time, so let me remind you that the motor in the Sprite (which was specifically what I said, read what I wrote, not what you THINK I wrote) was the A-Series and was an old, pushrod, 997cc, single-carby, iron-block clunker, and chronically unreliable. It may well have kept going into the seventies, but more of them stopped than went, wheezy, underpowered pretenders that they were.

As for the S600 not selling as many units, that's because Honda didn't bring many in; it's hard to sell product that isn't in stock.

And, if you had the slightest knowledge of the matter, you would know that the S600-S800 was only a 'blind' test-bed for the new generation motorcycle engines that were just about to be unleashed in Europe on the GP tracks and on the road in the form of the seminal CB-750. Honda has always cross-tested its products.

And, of course, Austin-Healey is still in business, selling hundreds of thousands of fast, non-oil-leaking sportscars to the masses :roll:.
  13. They didn't bring many S600s in for the simple reason they couldn't sell the ones they did - especially after those that had been sold started suffering catastrophic engine failure (the drivetrain noise was also enough to turn most buyers away). The S800 was a marked improvement but even still people were hesitant to buy them.

As for the A-series engine keep in mind that particular engine stayed in production largely unchanged until 2000 so clearly not everyone condiered it a "clunker". It's also the very engine that many Japanese manufacturers "copied" to produce their own small cars (the fact so many Japanese engines are a perfect fit into the engine bay of a Mini is proof of this).
  14. The sprite of the time was an iron block 1098 with twin su's putting out slightly more power than the s600.

So exactly how many alloy block production cars were there in 64?

Of course the A series engines were so unreliable that nissan licensed them, they powered the monaco rally winners for 3 sucessive years, took the sprite to le mans class wins in their day.

The failure of the British motor industry was never the designers, but the management that decided that there was no point designing anything new while the old stuff still sold.

But still it must be crap it a pommie motor
  15. Me and a mate brought about 7-10 of those little 2 stroker mini bikes from the 3 amigos for like $300 a piece. Thrashed the shit out of them, he even managed to get pulled over riding one. (got a riding an unregistered, un roadworthy ticket and a ticket for no licence... haha hahaha idiot) I would have to say they are fun as hell, but that fun only lasts minimal time as on all of the mini bikes then engine's seized after around 10 hours of ride time. Hense why we went through so many of them, we were racing each other and they copped a bit of a floggin, but 10 hours is a bit pitiful but at the time he didnt care cause he had money falling out of his *cough cough* and paid for all of them so it doesnt matter. :)

All in all, they should be called the "3 Dodgy Amigos" they seem to be leaving a word out. They also sell "cheap" cars as in the 2nd hand kind. It is amazing, cause when you meet the "director" he has a fat as gold chain hanging from his neck, gold watch, big a$$ gold braclet and rings to tim buck to. So he is obviously not living on the breadline off of this business.
  16. The early slant nose Toyota Corona was boring, bland, ugly and almost totally reliable.

The early Datsun 1000 was much nicer looking and also almost totally reliable.

The Honda CB750 SOHC, CB550SOHC, CB400SOHC, Kawasaki Z900, Z650 were all very good motorbikes.

All of the above were very reliable and date from well before the mid seventies!
  17. Hillman Imp is the first British car with an all alloy engine I can think of - and that was available in '64. Of course at that time the Italians were miles ahead of everyone else in engine design. The 1954 Alfa Romeo Guilleta for example not only had an alloy block (cast iron lined so it didn't wear out like the S600) - but also had twin overhead camshafts. By '64 they already had twin-spark versions available. And like all good engines it stayed in production for many years - up until the mid-90's. The Americans had a few early alloy blocks too but they suffered from serious problems with their metallurgy.
  19. my bike did over 30hrs of racing last year and all it needed was a re-ring and a light hone at the end of the season .... maybe it was more user related as to why it only lasted 10hrs
  20. Nope, I had a 1947 Jowett Javelin which had an alloy block, and I'm fairly sure it wasn't the first British car to have one either. It was a damn fine car for its day, even if mine was 20yo and geriatric when I had it. Nonetheless, Paul is correct in my opinion, granted some of the early Jap bikes were quirky and unconventional, pressed steel frames for example. but they were every bit as good as the British at the time. I chuckle at the short memories of those who forget just what a heap of unreliable mediocrity 90% of British bikes were. If you wanted a truly reliable bike you had to buy a Silk, a Vincent or a Velocette at prices equivalent to an MV today. The 50cc 'Cub' was one of the earliest Hondas ever built, and it went on to become the most produced motorcycle in history....